C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed!

Old 02-22-2004, 05:48 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed!

I have a 94 corvette with auto tranny. Pulling onto the highway today, I gave it roughly 1/2 throttle, the car revved to the moon and then made a hellaciously loud and violent bang. Then it was fine...as if nothing had happened. I though maybe it was a computer blurb. Then later in town i gave it some gas...it did the same thing. I then pulled up the light and when the torque converter disengaged as I came to a stop, it would not go into gear. I waited and still nothing. I pulled it back into 1st and the car then moved forward. At times, the car WILL go into gear with the shifter in OD, but it makes a weird sound and pulls in and out of gear...sometimes not at all. The car will run in 1st and in second if the stick is in those positions...but will do nothing in 3rd or overdrive. It has ample tranny fluid. The car will also run in reverse. What could be the problem.

[Modified by STL94LT1, 4:51 PM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 05:52 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (STL94LT1)

Classic tranny death. This is what happened to me when mine went too!

Sorry,
Shayne

[Modified by sspackman, 3:54 PM 2/22/2004]
Old 02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (STL94LT1)

Sounds like the clutches are ok.. (they give you nothing on power application when they fail.. trust me ;) ).

Loud bangs probably mean a broken sunshell or input shaft. It's actually amazing how broken the tranny can be and still run under light-to-moderate power.

When I got my tranny rebuilt for the first time.. the guys at the shop didn't believe that it actually could move the car. I informed them that I made a 140mph run right before I brought it to them. They showed me a few major items that came out of the tranny in pieces.

I would like to think it luck, but I believe that as long as the hard pieces (even if broken) are packed in tightly enough then they can transmit lower amounts of power.

Overall, I think your tranny is busted.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (Dan Parker '96)

I've experienced that same bang, twice in 8 months, but at WOT. I posted here - a few people thought the C beam might be broken - my car is still driving fine but that bang was very scary.

I'm booked into the tranny shop tomorrow, I'll post if I find out what it is, hope you get yours fixed, please let us know what it was.

S'nut
Old 02-23-2004, 09:29 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (Stingraynut)

If you suspect tranny problems,... the longer you run it the more it will cost to fix. Best to tow it to a tranny shop.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'll bet you'll find this porblem along with others. My 396 did this and it still moved. :cry
Old 03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (Ramrod92)

Don't mean to but in on this post, but in case this info helps anyone else looking for answers -
I mentioned that I've had this loud bang twice in 8 months at the 1st to 2nd gear shift - very scary - I've just had the transmission sumppan inspected and the good news is that there were no important metal bits there, just the usual sludge from leaving the tranny unserviced for too long.

I got advice from a firm that builds bullet proof 700r4 trannys for drag racing with highly modified engines - they said that it would be the sunshell that broke and it either breaks or doesn't - no in between sort of fractured but running.

As my car is driving fine I decided to take a chance that so far I haven't broken anything. I got a Transgo 'Junior' shift improver and correction kit fitted and the tranny serviced. The oil was going brownish. The kit is supposed to supply some updates to the transmission and make it stronger and longer lasting. There is also a stage 2 and stage 3 kit for heavier use.

I picked the vette up yesterday in torrential rain, couldn't test drive it properly because of the rain - so noisy couldn't hear much - but there was an instant seat of the pants improvement as soon as I drove off, shifts smoother but firmer - exactly what I wanted. Let's hope it stays that way.

S'nut
Old 03-03-2004, 09:14 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Default Re: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed! (Stingraynut)

If your looking for a Corvette 700R4 I have one for sale. It has less the 500 miles on rebuild. Also has a new B&M 2400 stall convertor a new TransGo shift kit and a Performance GM govenor. E-mail me if your interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! I think my tranny may be nuked. Tranny gurus needed!