C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Cherry6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story

I posted earlier about muffler resonance....I decided Maganflow needed to answer my question. I called 1-800-817-3930 and talked to Adam. I explained my (our) problem with muffler resonance on the C-4's and asked for his advice. 1st off, he explained that the lt-4 hot cam changed the stock sound waves and caused them to overlap and re-position themselves in the exhaust pipe thereby, creating resonance. In my case, and in most of yours, past the resonator. He suggested several methods to correct this: First, you need to find out "where" your sound waves are "building up" in the exhaust. One method he suggested is; to place masking tape along the length of straight pipe ahead of the Y and start the engine up. Where the tape peels off or starts to burn is: the "hot spot" This is exactly where, as he explained, the sound waves are building. The other method is; use a thermo-laser temperature gauge and point it at the exhaust pipe until you find the "hot spot." Next, you need to modify the hot spot by either bending the pipe-in (slightly) or placing a 3" muffler at the exact location. Magnaflow sells the 3" mufflers off their website [ http://www.magnaflow.com/01home.htm I haven't priced them. According to Adam, the slight bend would create some backpressure but it would correct the problem. He also recommended using the muffler/resonator at the location for zero performance loss. He explained the muffler would create an area of expansion and eliminate the resonance wave. I have no idea if this stuff will work or not but, Adam works for the factory and I told him there are a whole lot of guys in the forum that will benefit from this info and if it solves the problem, they would benefit too. I gave him the forum address and invited him to join the discussion. For those of you interested he said the Magnaflow mufflers part #15623 gave a 16.6hp gain over stock HP and torque gain is 13.4 .Peak power on stock LT-1 was @5,100 and torque came in @3,900. (This is off their dyno in-house) Pretty good info for a free call... Eh? I'll keep y'all posted if I burn myself huntin the hot spot.... Hey, I just want my cake and it it too :thumbs:

[Modified by RUBYREDVETTECARD, 9:30 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 04:35 PM
DON M
Drifting

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (RUBYREDVETTECARD)

Thanks, good info. :flag
Old 04-06-2004, 04:50 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (RUBYREDVETTECARD)

Very interesting - keep us posted :cheers:
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (britvette)

:iagree:
Old 04-06-2004, 05:04 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine last year, I found their tech to be the most helpful and human of all the companies I talked to. They actually knew about their product and did not simply read me the marketing text out of the catalog. That alone was almost enough to make me buy their product.

FWIW, the wave he refers to also used in race header technology. When I was drag racing with open headers, we used to bolt a piece of tubing the collector and run it a couple time. Where the paint started to fade or blister, we cut the tubing off. This was worth performance gain.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:14 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (LT-4 CE)

This also implies, if I read it correctly, that any recommendations on resonance from other members are pretty useles unless they have the same cam, maybe same porting mods etc as oneself.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (DON M)

So, what is the exact point are we looking for?

The forward-most point that the tape burns or the rearward most point?

Did he indicate how long the engine should run (I'm assuming at idle)? I guess if it runs long enough, the tape will burn off no matter where it's positioned.

Jake
Old 04-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Cherry6speed
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (britvette)

Unless I misunderstood them entirely, the cause of resonance doesn't matter...they only explained why I have resonance. They in fact believe that their mufflers are accoustically designed to work with stock resonance waves and locations. Further, they explained the new Hemi-Dodge had a similar problem and that is how they solved-it. Locate the "hot-spot" and correct it. Adam futher mentioned a gear change would merely alter the "timing" of the resonance and do nothing to correct it. I have no idea if what they say is correct, But you have the phone number give them a call. I think you will find they are "very knowledgeable" and easy to talk to and definately respect our knowledge of our cars. :thumbs:
Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Cherry6speed
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (JAKE)

Jake, He said the tape will peel first @ the hottest point and that is your hot spot. Not very scientific. I plan on borrowing a temperature laser and get the exact spot marked. According to Adam that spot is exactly where the resonance is comming from. Sounded good to me. :seeya
Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that's great information and great customer service :thumbs: for the post and :cheers: here's to them :D
Old 04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (rick lambert)

With an L98 which has s single cat after the front Y followed by the rear Y, I wonder if the rear Y would get hot enough to use the masking tape method; here it might take the temp probe setup.

Also, I'm wondering if we couldn't benefit from wrapping the rear Y with some sound deadening material, since the resonance is originating in that area.

If the resonance wave is created in the rear Y (in some cases anyway) that may be the reason for some Ys being sold with that cross-over tube.

So, now I wonder if true duals with bullet cats may not eliminate the resonance problem.

[Modified by 65Z01, 6:37 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 07:02 PM
redfast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (65Z01)

So, now I wonder if true duals with bullet cats may not eliminate the resonance problem.

[Modified by 65Z01, 6:37 PM 4/6/2004][/QUOTE]

No your right, I have the 2.5" true duels with the magnas. and the rear has the cross over. The exhaust is very loud and has alot of resonance, but I like it :thumbs:
Old 04-06-2004, 07:45 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (redfast)

My first test with the Vortech cones will be at the exit of my, Bullet muffler/entry to the y-pipe, so Iwill know something about that soon.

[Modified by ld85, 7:45 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

If the whole hot spot-muffler placement proves to be effective this will be some of the best information on this forum. Exhaust/noise/resonance is, week in week out, one of the hottest (sorry, most popular) topics.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (ld85)

My first test with the Vortech cones will be at the exit of my, Bullet muffler/entry to the y-pipe, so Iwill know something about that soon.

[Modified by ld85, 7:45 PM 4/6/2004]
I'd sure like to know if those inserts work. Keep us posted.

Jake
Old 04-07-2004, 12:57 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (RainDelay)

Locating the hot spots (by paint blitering, not tape) is how you locate the ideal positon where to put your crossover pipe.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:39 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (h rocks)

Jake, I MAY try to put the cone into the y-pipe this weekend, I really wanted to wait until I got the car back from being tuned first.

Also, right now my car is totally acceptable to me, with very minimal resonance after putting in the bullte muffler.

I really believe the best place to put the cone is at each muffler inlet, based on what Magnaflow says, this would dissrupt the sound waves at the point where I HEAR the resonance. When I am in my car, it is obvious to me that the rear of the car is the point where the most noise comes from.

Get notified of new replies

To I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story

Old 04-07-2004, 09:53 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

:withstupid: :steering:
Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story (65Z01)

With an L98 which has s single cat after the front Y followed by the rear Y, I wonder if the rear Y would get hot enough to use the masking tape method; here it might take the temp probe setup.

Also, I'm wondering if we couldn't benefit from wrapping the rear Y with some sound deadening material, since the resonance is originating in that area.

If the resonance wave is created in the rear Y (in some cases anyway) that may be the reason for some Ys being sold with that cross-over tube.

[Modified by 65Z01, 6:37 PM 4/6/2004]
IMHO, I think the best solution, if found to be the case, would be to find the hot spots in the rear Y, and have a crossover pipe welded between the Y at the hot spot points. It seems like the store-bought xover Ys may be of some help, esp. on a stock vehicle, but, like Adam said on the phone, changing the engine setup will change the resonant frequency (and therefore the location) of the sound wave in the pipe. If you give the sound waves some way to break up, then it should reduce the resonance.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:41 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

1st off, he explained that the lt-4 hot cam changed the stock sound waves and caused them to overlap and re-position themselves in the exhaust pipe thereby, creating resonance.
Is there some sort of frequency "threshhold"? I ask because aren't the stock exhaust systems for both the LT1 and LT4 the same? Because of the differences between these two engines, doesn't that mean that their sound waves were different as well? Do stock LT4s have more resonance than stock LT1s because of those differences or are those differences not enough to push it over that resonance threshhold?

[Modified by tobijohn, 1:42 PM 4/7/2004]

Quick Reply: I called Magnaflow hotline today about resonance....long story