C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 03:27 PM
BADMUDE
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad?

It is strange. My Vette wouldnt start and all the lights totally dim out. So I figure it is the battery. I check the voltage and it reads 3 volts. I am like ok..I try to charge it and the charger tells me it already had a full charge. WTF So I check the voltage again with it disconnected from the car. 14.2 volts. When I hook it back up....3 volts again. :banghead:

I am guessing either the Battery has a bad cell in it or something..or I have a short in the car.

Any guesses?
Old 05-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad? (BADMUDE)

The best way to check your battery is to put a load test to it. Just bring it to an AutoZone or AdvancedAuto and have them do a load test. I bet it fails and you'll need a battery. BTW, It is pretty strange for a 12 volt battery to give you 14 volts. Your charging system, alternator, puts out 14 volts, not your battery.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad? (BADMUDE)

WTF So I check the voltage again with it disconnected from the car. 14.2 volts. When I hook it back up....3 volts again. :banghead:
My guess is that you checked the car voltage, running, battery disconnected. The alternator was putting out 14.2 volts. A battery will never put out more than about 12.8 volts. Check your battery cable connections. Bad connections could keep the car from starting and account for the 3 volt dash reading. They could also keep the battery from taking a charge, making it appear that it's fully charged.

RACE ON!!!

[Modified by CFI-EFI, 1:49 PM 5/22/2004]
Old 05-22-2004, 03:44 PM
PreferEuroRacing
Pro

Default Re: Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad? (Strick)

Chargers typically put out more than 12v. So, for a short while, a battery freshly charged will show higher than 12v. The problem here is that it doesn't hold it. You can string several 'D' cell batteries together to add up to 12v but they wont start your car since they don't generate enough current (amps).

Old 05-22-2004, 03:51 PM
BADMUDE
Safety Car

Default Re: Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad? (PreferEuroRacing)

Thanks!....Actualy, it wasnt running when I checked it..I have no idea why it was so high...but I think I will take the battery in to be chaecked..before I start tearing the car apart..lol
Old 05-22-2004, 03:54 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

It is possible to have like 13.4v.with a dead cell in bat..you need to put a load on it and check...turn lights ac fan ect..on and see what you get. If it drops to like 6-9vs...dead cell
Old 05-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Voltage has nothing to do with a batterys ability to start your car. You nedd to do a load test. My favorite quickie load test is to turn the lights and dome light on on and turn the key, if the lights go out and it doesnt start the car, the battery is certianly suspect.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:00 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a battery with a poor intercell connector or a bad cell (no amp hour capacity). A voltmeter draws extremely small current which a bad cell can easily supply, but the courtesy lights which go on when you reconnect your battery draw about an amp will show a bad battery when the battery voltage drops to 3 volts (in your case). Try using a battery known to be good from another car, or try a jump and attempt a crank.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad?

Quick Reply: Is it possible for a battery to show 14v and still be bad?