C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo.

I could run a line of oil from the engine to the turbo, but then I will need to have a little sump tank and then use an electric pump to pump the expended oil back to the engine.

Or what do you guys think about using the electric pump to pump Oil to a small Oil cooler and then through the Turbo and then it gets expelled to a small tank to hold the oil. This way this oil does not get mixed up with the engine oil the pump can flow oil through the turbo instead of having a 1-2 min idle time to cool the turbo before shut down.

Heres the water pump I bought, BaldTurbofreak says his withstood 250F temps without problems, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategoryId=1546
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (Light84vette)

I wouldn't use a waterpump to push thick oil . Also, oil form a turbo will get a LOT hotter than 250F, just FYI.

I too would chose to do a seperate container and flow system if i were to mount a turbo at the rear of the exhaust (although that's not something I'd do anyways).

Keep us posted how this setup runs when all finished.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (MrNuke)

TTT
Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

TTT
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your gonna be fine bro for many reasons.
1) If you use engine oil, by the time it gets to the rear bumper it's gonna be 50deg cooler.
2) If you use your own seperate oil system so long as it has a cooler to remove heat from the system, the temps won't get any hotter than 2-250F.
How do I know? , well because thats how my system started out, closed loop, seperate oiling. And since I started using this pump(at the time I was using military spec 12v fuel oil pumps), It might go back that way. It's also how I did it on my brother's banshee 'cause she's a 2 stroke and has no oiling system. It never got over 200 once. even with hard abuse.
3) The egt's at the back bumper are gonna be 4-500 degrees cooler. The turbo will never ever glow red
Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (Baldturbofreak)

If I use a good sized cooler and the temps run 200-250 at the most, what temps do the regular turbos run that are mounted near the engine, Oil temp that is?

Thanks for the real world example with the 2 stroke and the seperate oiling system.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
85blkZ51
Instructor

If you use a seperate oil system, will you filter it??
Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (85blkZ51)

I didn't and the oil never got dirty. Just use a top quality thin weight ( I used 0w-30 mobil 1) synthetic and take a look at it every once and a while. But all in all a small oil filter couldnt hurt. even a glass fuel type would be good enough. keep in mind for a small turbo allyou need is 15-20 psi and thats it. Ive had even less with no problems so far.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

If you use a seperate oil system, will you filter it??
Oowwwwwhhhhhh, didnt think about that one, Good thing I consult this with the Corvetteforum before I actually do it. Thanks man, I just overlooked that one and didnt even think about it. I'll have to find some little oil filter with the unit that can attach to it.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:20 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't a setup like this be prone to some HUGE turbo lag? (mounting the turbo in the rear of the vehicle)

Ron
Old 06-29-2004, 09:26 AM
85blkZ51
Instructor

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (RonRed89)

RonRed89,Cant you correct lag with a smaller sized impeller wheel, the smaller the wheel the quicker it spools up? Its been a long time since I read my book about turbos. If youre concern is about the length between the turbo at the rear of the car to the front of the engine, I wonder if a little more boost along with impeller size would help. I'm no turbo expert so dont take it as gospel.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

RonRed89,Cant you correct lag with a smaller sized impeller wheel, the smaller the wheel the quicker it spools up? Its been a long time since I read my book about turbos. If youre concern is about the length between the turbo at the rear of the car to the front of the engine, I wonder if a little more boost along with impeller size would help. I'm no turbo expert so dont take it as gospel.
No.
And no.

Larry
Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Default Re: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo. (code5coupe)

This is a topic tht wass explored indepth on the forced induction/nitrous board. Indeed if you took a turbo sized for the very hot expanding gasses at the head and install it at the rear bumper it will have highr than normal lag, due to the fact that the velocity and temperature have dropped. but the same # of molecuels still exist in the ex. stream so by going to a more concentrated a/r housing (lower #) it will help focus the denser gas onto the wheel and you get about the same result. Will it match a turbo that is using the (roughly 30%) heat energy left over from combustion for efficiency? no.
will it be close enought to put a big big smile on your face? hell yes. If you use a VNT turbo you get the best of both worlds at the cost of some added complexity, however when you see the results of this turbo on a wrx you will have your minds made up. A few more weeks of beta testing and I will release some photos and data.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
85blkZ51
Instructor

Well, like I said, I'm no turbo expert but I've seen one on T.V.

[Modified by 85blkZ51, 6:04 PM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Old 06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

This is a topic tht wass explored indepth on the forced induction/nitrous board. Indeed if you took a turbo sized for the very hot expanding gasses at the head and install it at the rear bumper it will have highr than normal lag, due to the fact that the velocity and temperature have dropped. but the same # of molecuels still exist in the ex. stream so by going to a more concentrated a/r housing (lower #) it will help focus the denser gas onto the wheel and you get about the same result. Will it match a turbo that is using the (roughly 30%) heat energy left over from combustion for efficiency? no.
will it be close enought to put a big big smile on your face? hell yes. If you use a VNT turbo you get the best of both worlds at the cost of some added complexity, however when you see the results of this turbo on a wrx you will have your minds made up. A few more weeks of beta testing and I will release some photos and data.
Im no expert either but I'll see how it goes, IM not dumping too much money into this so far, only about 150 and I have a pump and turbo. Now all I need is a couple of lines, a scavenge tank and a few exhaust pipes, and A hydraulic pipe bender.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
85blkZ51
Instructor

,...and some of this and some of that, and a little more money, oh 'ya gotta have one of these,and one of those, and spend some more money,.....on and on and on.....

Get notified of new replies

To Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Well you dont want to take your money to the grave do you? Its not ment to look at, save a large sum of it to get something lateron, or for a bad day, or spend it conservatively .
Old 06-29-2004, 05:40 PM
85blkZ51
Instructor

Youre right, money is like a vette,.. If you dont use it, it just aint no fun!! :p:
Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Youre right, money is like a vette,.. If you dont use it, it just aint no fun!! :p:

Quick Reply: Lubrication Ideas for Rear mounted Turbo.