C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dyno results but dissappointed

Old 08-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default dyno results but dissappointed

I finally went and get my car dyno today with dissappointment, mainly because the owner of the shop was not able to made a blown custom prom for my car to run. They have done plentiful of mustangs and a few blown LT car with MAF. Mine is Speed density therefore it is tricky and that I have been saying all along. First they put in the 50s injector and made a custom program, made 1st pull the motor shot down on it own at 3600rpm made 4 runs and it the same cut out at 3600. With that 4 pulls it only made 359rwhp and 520rwq at 3600rpm it produced 9# of boost. Obvisously programing is an issue here.

So we decided to put back the old 350ci head&cam custom eprom by Shalin afew yrs ago. Made a dyno pull for 4000rpm just to see if the motor shut out again. It pull to 4000rpm no problem. At 4000rpm it made 499rwhp and 607rwtq, at 4000rpm and it boosting 12psi of boost. The next pull we try 5500rpm, but the dyno operator let off at 4600rpm because the A/R is start to lean out. Remember this is with a old 350ci NA program running on a 383ci blown motor. AT 4600rmp it made 544rwhp and 598rwtq. When the dyno operator let off the and my cog belt shreded fly all over. There are a lot left on my motor. If I have the right blown program it would have been making 620+rwhp at 4600rpm easily. At 4600rpm it is boosting 14psi thru the restricted ATI intercooler along with twin fans I build that directly blowing air to the IC. So therefore I know it will make 18psi at 6000rpm or so.

So I made a phone call to Tom and I ask him about the cog belt shred at high rpm and let off. I asked him about how he drives his 396LT4 with the cog belt. Tom responds I take it to red line and let off no problem with belt shreding. So we came to the conclusion is the the junk ATI surge valve are not up for the high boost application. When the dyno operator let off and perhaps the surge valve are not open or just simply not big enough. I think I am going end up ordering 2 Vortech blue race valve. With the twin BOV should help relieve all the pressure when the throttle blade is close.
I am still using the darn old 350ci custom and it still making big hp. If the programing fall under the right hands, it can easily achieve 700+rwhp without the N2O. Eventually I am still wanna spray 200hp shot.

Bruce
Old 08-05-2004, 12:33 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about flying Tom in for the day and have him program it for you?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:25 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Why blower are you running to make that 18psi?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

I don't think you should be disappointed. 544rwhp @4600rpm with only 14psi is very decent with the tune you have. With the right tune, full boost, and 200shot you might hit 900rwhp @6000rpm. Didn't you get the DFI from Tom?

My DFI is going in as we speak, should be done by next week. I will be spending a lot of time on the dyno after that. Hopefully I will have some good results.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:22 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, big numbers. Bruce, what are the specs on your engine? I am thinking of adding a procharger to my forged 383. My C.R. is a little high for real big boost but I am curious about your set up.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bruce
I finally went and get my car dyno today with dissappointment, mainly because the owner of the shop was not able to made a blown custom prom for my car to run. They have done plentiful of mustangs and a few blown LT car with MAF. Mine is Speed density therefore it is tricky and that I have been saying all along.
Bruce,

It's scary to think what that motor will do once you get it dialed in with boost and the 200 shot. One question for you: Given your pretty stout combo, have you considered moving to an aftermarket ECU (FAST, DFI, BS3) to make the tuning easier? I know that there are quite a few folks running boosted LT1s with the stock ECM, but weren't you planning to run pretty crazy boost numbers + N20?

Good luck with the setup. Can't wait to see once you get her dialed in.

Ron
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM
krivera
Drifting

good job? i think that is great!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:17 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

incredible power! But using chips with power like that....

do yourself and your car a favour... get a gen 7.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by DieL
incredible power! But using chips with power like that....

do yourself and your car a favour... get a gen 7.
Ya, I have to agree with Diel... When you start making big power you really need to have an aftermarket ECU. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work with the factory ECU... but why risk it? Besides.. once you learn how to program your FAST, BS3, Gen VII or whatever... you'll feel a sense of freedom....If you want every last shred of HP you gotta go aftermarket ECU when a supercharger comes into play...
Old 08-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Ya, I have to agree with Diel... When you start making big power you really need to have an aftermarket ECU. I'm not saying you couldn't make it work with the factory ECU... but why risk it? Besides.. once you learn how to program your FAST, BS3, Gen VII or whatever... you'll feel a sense of freedom....If you want every last shred of HP you gotta go aftermarket ECU when a supercharger comes into play...

A three bar MAP sensor and a WB02 would make it a lot easier to tune. Tom could probably set ya up...just a thought.
CT

Last edited by Brand-X; 08-05-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Wow man, I've seen some bench racing, but you went from 544rwhp to 700rwhp in one paragraph :-)
Old 08-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
Wow, big numbers. Bruce, what are the specs on your engine? I am thinking of adding a procharger to my forged 383. My C.R. is a little high for real big boost but I am curious about your set up.
Jerkeyboy
my combo is 383LT1 all forged internals with JE-28cc Heavy Duty Blower Piston. Head works by Agostino Racing Engine flow 260CFM at 550 lift. D1SC Procharger.
CC. Custom cam extreme energy 222/230 @.05 .565/.605 LSA 114 IC 114.

I know what you guys are saying and I think I will eventually end up getting DFI D7 from Tom. My goal is still 1000hp. So one way or another I will attempt to achieve that goal with this combo. My D1SC is making bad *** boost. At 3000rpm it make 7psi and at 4000rpm it make 12spi of boost.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce; 08-06-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Bruce, I thought you were headed to Delaware for your tune. Had I known you were going to Kennedys I would have dropped by. I believe I still have available my old hypertech blower chip (93 LT1) tuned very rich which may have helped you if only temporarily. For comparison sake I'm pulling 11bs.boost@4000rpm & 17lbs@5800 with the 8 rib system. You really need a DFI and 83lb injectors but you know that. Send me an E mail when your back in the area and we can compare notes.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:17 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Wow Bruce...sorry to hear all the problems. I would be concerned with running a custom NA program on a blown motor as it will be running WAY too much timing.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RVY
Hi Bruce, I thought you were headed to Delaware for your tune. Had I known you were going to Kennedys I would have dropped by. I believe I still have available my old hypertech blower chip (93 LT1) tuned very rich which may have helped you if only temporarily. For comparison sake I'm pulling 11bs.boost@4000rpm & 17lbs@5800 with the 8 rib system. You really need a DFI and 83lb injectors but you know that. Send me an E mail when your back in the area and we can compare notes.
Would you be willing to share a flash from your Gen VII? I have a tip-in problem and I wanted to see how some others (yourself included) w/Gen VII tuned for part throttle fuel enrichment.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RVY
Hi Randy
I have alway wanted to go to Delaware for the tunning, the problem is I could not get a schedule appointment with Shalin. Since he own and run his own hotel/motel business and his schedule is very tight. So I email Rich krause over the camaro board and decided to give Kennedy a try. Rich got out from work and stop over to meet me there for about an hour. They told me about your car built and tuned there, they say your car got more dyno times than any other cars they have tuned. Rich told me you have a custom made convertable roll bar on your car. Do you have any pics may I see it?. Also, your ride is a 93 but how come Bob told me you have MAF. MAF don't start on our cars until 1994 right?

Bruce
Old 08-07-2004, 09:48 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Bruce, The good doctor and former neighbor, is where you hope to be. Perhaps you looked at one of his dyno print outs? He pulled the stick and installed a 3 speed auto due to his cars horsepower output. Yes, unfortunately I do hold the Dyno record for most pulls over 5 years. The learning curve was expensive. It took many weeks before we realized the stock Vortech intake system could'nt pass enough air to feed the beast. I initially thought I could tune the '93 (speed density system) utilizing chips from different providers and the stock ECM. Boy, was I was wrong. Others certainly can, but I wasn't successful. I bought a gen 6 DFI when I was doing business in Detroit. Bob has a great deal of experience with the DFI. The toy idles smoothly and quietly. Hard to believe there's 596rwhp under the hood. HUGE difference from the early days(1960's). When you come back, send me an E mail. I'm 22 minutes North of the airport (Clarence exit IS90) just off Youngs road in the East Amherst area.
Best Ever,
Randy Young

Get notified of new replies

To dyno results but dissappointed

Old 08-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Randy
When I am in the area again, I will email you. Do you have any pic of your convertable???

Bruce
Old 08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

I finally have time to install the blower belt today. I take it out for a spin, man it pull so freaking hard. I only limit to 4000rpm. I took a friend out for a ride in the free way. His impression is holy ****$ it fast I say to him, the motor is not tune yet. Wait until I get it tune and run full boost.

Bruce
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Motorworx
Advanced

Hi Bruce,
I think you guys are right on the ATI valve being junk. I always use the Trust/GReddy 50mm Type R BOV with standard spring for recirculation. Never had a problem.

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dyno results but dissappointed