C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

""UPGRADING TARGA TOPS""

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:28 PM
chillcat
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ""UPGRADING TARGA TOPS""

I have an early 85 vette, and accidently bought a 96 solid top, tried installing it, using corvette americas upgrade kit for $115.00, but this is not going good AT ALL.....somehow this top is not going into position, I had new weatherstrip put on, but I wouldn't think that could affect anything....any ideas? Its like the 2 front brackets need to move over a 1/4" inch or so to the center, Any ideas---besides parking on a slant--cause that won't work at all....I kinda want to have the option of removing the top when I want to...thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming you have all the correct mounting brackets, you have to adjust either the front brackets on the roof or the rear brackets on the car or both. There are three different mounting brackets depending on year. i forget the exact years but it's something like 84-early 86, late 86 to 88 or 89 and then 89-96. If you're only off by 1/4 inch and the front bracket bolts on the top are not interfering with the brackets...it's likely just an adjustment.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:45 AM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to my service manual, the front brackets on the car are adjustable too.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SBNova
According to my service manual, the front brackets on the car are adjustable too.
Yes- they are

I put an 87 top on my 84 one time...but I used 87 hardware...the inner windshield molding needs to come off along with the covers for the mounting plates you see on the top...there are 2 bolts per side..back them out a little and you will get all the room you need...

I put the new top on and tightened it down before I re-tightened these brackets...I got the best fit and seal that way...you just have to play with it a little...

P.S. the top brackets themselves can be adjusted also!

Have fun!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:00 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I loosen all the brackets and then lower the top onto the car. I'll then start the mounting screws a couple threads and stop. At this point I'll take a sharpee pen or something else that will come off with alcohol and outline the brackets as they are. Then I pull the top off and put it upsidedown on a blanket and tighten the tops after realigning the brackets with the market lines.

Get notified of new replies

To ""UPGRADING TARGA TOPS""

Quick Reply: ""UPGRADING TARGA TOPS""