C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

location of fusible link on a 85

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
kdog3445
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of fusible link on a 85

I am trying to trouble shoot and repair a fan problem. Can some one please let me know which one is the fusible link and the best way to repair it on a 85

from the battery there are 2 red wires running from +, the red wires connect into a rubber insulated connection. from that connection the wires split off and one runs up and around. The other goes into a plastic connection that then connects to the Fan relay.

so my question is.... is the fusible link the rubber connection where 2 wires come together or is it the plastic connection that goes directly into the fan relay

thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kdog3445
from the battery there are 2 red wires running from +, the red wires connect into a rubber insulated connection.
Those red wires with the black hump in them are fusible links.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:36 PM
kdog3445
Intermediate

after looking at it more. I see what you mean. I am going to replace it with an inline fuse. Should I splice it before or after the rubber hump
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kdog3445
after looking at it more. I see what you mean. I am going to replace it with an inline fuse. Should I splice it before or after the rubber hump
Its been a while since I replaced one of mine. I can't remember if the entire red wire is fusible link and the black hump just says "Hey look, I'm the one!" or if just the black hump is the fusible link and the red wire is just plain wire. When I replaced mine I cut the whole thing out. Mine was a 12 gauge one so I replaced it with a same-length piece of fusible link from NAPA.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:51 PM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Have you checked to make sure the fan relay is not bad? The red wire in the plug should have 12 volts. Take a small piece of wire and jump from the red wire to the black wire on the opposite side of the plug. If you have 12 volts to the red wire in the plug and the fan comes on when you jump it out, the relay is bad. If you don't have 12 volts to the red wire the fussble link could be bad. The two wires that you jump out are the big wires of the plug...both on the outside edges of the plug....not the two small middle wires. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
kdog3445
Intermediate

I jumped it out and the fan came on. but i have replaced the fan relay in the past few days to rule that out. Could it be that the connection into the fan relay is bad. it is has some crud in it.

should I replace that? what is it called?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:11 PM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Ecklers sells a kit to replace the fan relay and connector. It's an updated vesion and supposed to be better and more reliable than the 85 type relay. The part number is 30974 ( Cooling Fan Relay Kit). $16.99 + shipping. Total was 24.98. This kit is standaed equipment for 1987-1996 Vetts. I just bought one myself. I have an 85 Vette.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:15 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Before you start cutting and splicing, you need to realize that the fusible link has 1 input wire and 3 outputs, not 2 in 2 out like it looks. I didn't realize this and inadvertently cut power to the fuel pump.

Also, if the fusible link is bad, it went bad for a reason. Like fuses, they don't generally go bad for no reason. On mine, the fan motor itself was drawing too much current.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
kdog3445
Intermediate

this whole thing is killing me, I have replaced the fan motor. the fan relay 2 times now. the temp cooling switch. like I said when I jump the relay switch the fan comes on. I dont what else to do. I am starting to think I am not getting a solid connection when plugging into the fan relay
Old 08-16-2004, 03:33 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Your fusible link is fine if your fan runs when you jump the relay. Are you positive your temp switch and wiring from it to relay are good?? And do you have power at the terminal on relay that activates it (relay)when ignition key is forward/on?? Test it with a test light and see if you have 12v at a terminal (I'm not sure what color wire as I have a 90 model) when key is on ONLY plus the 12v constant at red wire from fusible link. You MUST have BOTH.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:56 PM
kdog3445
Intermediate

I do have power at both connections. I think I need the connection that pluggs into the relay. Here's why.

If I ground the red wire with out the key turned on the fan works. If I ground the temp switch at the fan with the key turned on the fan comes on.

When you look at the connection that plug into the fan relay. you have 3 wires and the the ground. One red which is power from the battery. One grean which runs to the temp switch and on other that runs to the fan motor.
when I ground the wire that runs to the temp switch from the fan relay (green one) on top of the connection. The part that will connect into the relay. I get nothing. But if I ground it buy forcing a wire up into the connection from under where the wires come into that connector and then I ground it. the fan comes on.

So Does it make sence that it is not the fan relay but the connection that plugs into the fan relay is not making a full connection??

I think that is my problem. I ordered the part mentioned above hopefully it is
Old 08-17-2004, 09:10 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sounds like your on the right track. Let us know.

Get notified of new replies

To location of fusible link on a 85

Quick Reply: location of fusible link on a 85