C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Convertible X-brace Removal/intall

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 04:06 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Convertible X-brace Removal/intall

I am installing my longtubes and y-pipe on Sunday and would like to know if there are any tricks or don'ts when removing and installing my x-brace. I haven't been under the car yet to look, but I am assuming that the brace doesn't support the tranny. For those that have done this you input is more than welcome. Thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 06:07 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 90 Convertible
I am installing my longtubes and y-pipe on Sunday and would like to know if there are any tricks or don'ts when removing and installing my x-brace. I haven't been under the car yet to look, but I am assuming that the brace doesn't support the tranny. For those that have done this you input is more than welcome. Thanks
No the brace does not support the tranny!

When I remove mine, I start with the nutas and bolts at the point of the X (crossover), then I remove left rear right and left. There are bolts towards the rear that go through the floor boards, I leave those till last. Move to the front amdremove either left or right side, then drop back to the nuts I mentioned that secure the legs of the brace to the floor boards, remove those for the leg of the brace you have just removed at the front, then do the other side. It helps if you can support the brace somehow.

Dpn't overtighten on reinstall, look at torgue specs. Nuts are welded internally in frame and floor boards. Over torquing could break the welsda and then you will have a heck of a job on your hands

seeya

Jack
Old 09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 90 Convertible
No the brace does not support the tranny!

When I remove mine, I start with the nuts and bolts at the point of the X (crossover), then I remove rear right and left. There are bolts towards the rear that go through the floor boards, I leave those till last. Move to the front and remove either left or right side, then drop back to the nuts I mentioned that secure the legs of the brace to the floor boards, remove those for the leg of the brace you have just removed at the front, then do the other side. It helps if you can support the brace somehow.

Don't overtighten on reinstall, look at torgue specs. Nuts are welded internally in frame and floor boards. Over torquing could break the welds and then you will have a heck of a job on your hands

seeya

Jack
Old 09-04-2004, 10:09 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

thanks jackdaroofer, I will do it as you told me.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I did it the opposite, I left the four nuts in the middle for last. I did the 8 that were at the ends of the "X", then while I removed the four center nuts, I found it was easier to support the brace with one hand in the center.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:41 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

What is the actual function for the x-brace, is it only on verts, or coupes should have them too? I wondered about that for my Vert (maybe I need a coupe too
Old 09-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's only on verts to make up for the rigidity provided by coupe halo & top. I "retro-fitted" a stock one to my coupe & what a diff. Esp. w/ the top out. RD Racing sells an aftermarket version if you can't pick up a stocker from a salvage yard. Most frames already have the front bolt holes pre-threaded. I welded in a plate & steel blocks so I could thread the holes for the rear. As usual a bit overkill but if god didn't want us to have brick sh..t houses he wouldn't have let us have bricks...
Old 09-05-2004, 05:19 PM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Thanks - when I had my Corsa exhaust installed last year, the guy that did it asked if I had been in an accident - thinking that was the reason for the x-brace. Now I learned something!
Old 09-05-2004, 05:40 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Remove center screws.

Remove screws on both ends of one of the diagonals on the X

Remove screws on one end of the remaining diagonal and lower that end of the x to a box or other support about 1 or 2 inches below the -end- of the brace.

Remove remaining screws from other end of brace and lower the brace to the floor.

To reinstall, raise the brace against the floor with a floor jack and install the center screws first, run them up almost snug but loose enogh to allow the brace to move easily. Install the rest of the screws almost snug yet free to move a bit. Once all the screws are in, torque them. Order doesn't matter.

The braces are aften bent to where they contact the body or exhaust system. If your's is, straghten it. They are so flimsy they are easy to straighten,

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible X-brace Removal/intall

Quick Reply: Convertible X-brace Removal/intall