C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

car just drops in RPM's or just dies out of the blue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 11:34 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been dealing with this since I purchased it. I can be driving the car short or long distances and out of the blue when I come to a stop and set at the light the car will all of a sudden just drop and surge in rpm's or just die. I have to crank for a sec, then starts and is fine... I don't like that feeling. Any thoughts of what this could be?

thanks in advance for the help..
Pete

Old 07-30-2001, 11:45 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey Pete,
Its tough to say over the net..it can be a bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, bad MAF or their relays etc.
It can also be a bad EGR valve.

You should try jumping the aldl terminal and see if you can pull any ECM stored codes.

Do a fuel pressure check and also see if theres any codes and take it from there.

I had another car do the same exact thing...fuel pump was weak..I changed the filter and no difference in pressure reading...it was too low.

New pump solved it..BUT your symptoms can be caused by several things.

If you need extra help troubleshooting or etc just ask away...the forum will help you alot.

Old 07-31-2001, 03:57 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Thanks,

can you give me the how to for the advise you just gave me... I know how I think to try and pull codes from the ECM... If I have done it right, I get no codes. I get the I think it's 12,12,12, which I thought was no codes found or clear.

Any input would help me about the fuel pump and others you mentioned.

Pete

Old 07-31-2001, 05:18 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you reproduce it at will? (Sounds like not.)

First thought is the MAF relay's. Replace both. In the beginning they don't throw codes. As it gets worse, you'll get a MAF code.

If that isn't it, I would think fuel, but a weak pump should show more at high RPM's!

Got Diacom,...... Sooner or later we will meet. (In Roswell on the weekends.)
Old 08-01-2001, 01:41 AM
trrgod
Racer

I know this sounds strange but ---- check your battery terminals. See that they are clean and making good contact.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:50 AM
Hendej
Pro

Only at idle? Try cleaning the IAC and the IAC air passages in the TB. Sounds like it's sticking, might need replacement. Also clean behind the butterflies in the TB. Maybe 90% of idle problems are right here. Good place to start since it's free.

BTW I put in a used ECM once that caused the same symptoms. Poor idle & stalling can be difficult to track down. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2001, 11:15 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

I had the IAC, O2 sensor, TB cleaned, TPS set,fuel pump relay, and new 24lb FMS injectors. But, here is the thing, my car feels like it has no power after or around the 4000 rpm range it sounds wierd and just feels funny. I know I don't like this crap and the fact my car only has 47K on it. The battery terms are clean. How do you know when to check for codes or will there just flash out of the blue?

Zala,
yep your right we will meet some time, cuz I could sure use your help.

Thanks to all for the help...

Old 08-01-2001, 12:58 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

When the ECM sets a code, it turns on the Check Engine Light. If intermittant, the light will stay on for ~10secs.

(If you are too busy driving, you won't see the light.)

Old 08-02-2001, 03:50 AM
Ron78Z&66Vette
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

EGR valve is normally closed at idle and full throttle. If the valve was intermittently sticking open or if the EGR Solenoid Control Valve (I think that's what it's called) was opening the EGR at the wrong time it could possibly be giving you similar symptoms to what you describe. It might or might not give you a code 32 (EGR).
Old 08-02-2001, 09:59 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Took a drive last night to see if I could get the car to through a code, but no dice.. How can I check the EGR valve, or can I?

Thanks to all for the help... I just want the car to run right.... I would like to take a road trip..

Any other thoughts and help would be great...

Thanks
Pete

Old 08-02-2001, 11:12 AM
Hendej
Pro

Like I said, the junkyard ECM I put in caused the same symptoms - can you switch with somebody? Sometimes just removing and inserting the connectors cleans off the oxide coating and eliminates problems. Intermittant problems are definately the worst. I suggest that before throwing any parts/money at the problem, you hook up a Diacom or equiv to pinpoint the problem. Try to log what is happening when the problem appears.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:54 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

EGR check: The hose connection should have no vacuum at idle. Most times the valve cakes up with carbon. This is a visual inspection. (You'll have to pull the plenum to get to it.)
Old 08-03-2001, 11:26 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (ZylaRace)

Thanks for the help... I'm off today so I will try to get something done about this.... I need Diacom.....

Tired of playing the guessing game.... :smash: :confused: :mad

Get notified of new replies

To car just drops in RPM's or just dies out of the blue

Quick Reply: car just drops in RPM's or just dies out of the blue