C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to change spark plug wires at the opti???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 02:59 AM
Thumper
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have tried to get to them from the top and from the bottom but obviously I'm not doing something right, so how do you get to your spark plug wires to change them at the opti?

Old 07-31-2001, 05:09 AM
wake
Race Director

If you have small hands/arms, try from the bottom, but try going around the oil pan... There is enough room that if you're laying under the car with your legs pointed towards the rear (completely under the car) that you should be able to reach around the oil pan and find the opti... That saved me a lot of headaches from the first time I did it from above...

Old 07-31-2001, 11:50 AM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I get to them from the bottom. And if anyone said I had small hands, she is lying!

Old 07-31-2001, 11:54 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I had to remove the serp belt and then move the ac compressor out of the way. Hands too big to get at it any other way. My web page describes that.

Old 07-31-2001, 12:09 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have small hands either and I get the driver side from the bottom. Passenger side is pretty easy.
There is a certain way that you are going to have to lay on the ground in order to snake your hand up there. Once you figure it out, it really is not bad at all.
Good Luck,

Old 07-31-2001, 02:01 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Now you know why I took the side pieces to the wheel wells off

Take them off then you can get at the connector under the alternator. You can actually see the ones on the passenger side

To get at the driver's side, hold the belt tensioner up, I made a L shape out of my belt tensioner tool and hook it on the thick AC lines. You can then get your fingers in there take the bottom of first & work your way to the top, reverse the process to put them back on.

BTW check out you waterpump, if it needs replacing DO IT NOW, it make the whole affair MUCH easier

Old 07-31-2001, 02:12 PM
Thumper
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Goody--I'm about to do it your way. I'll also try getting completely under the car and trying to reach them from a diffrent angle or I'll take it to the experts and pay them to do it. How can a bunch of engineers make such an easy job so hard!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 11:20 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Thumper, if you want to E-mail me a number I'll give you a ring. I've done mine 3 or 4 times now and have it down to a science. LOL Passengers side is easy if you unbolt the nuts holding the PS bracket in place. Once it's loose it will slide out of the PS reservoir and that side is a piece of cake. On the drivers side. Well that's a longer story.

Old 08-01-2001, 12:15 AM
95-383
Instructor

I got to them from the top. On the driver side I removed the ac compressor, belt,idler, and tensioner.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:33 PM
Thumper
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

R94--I'll e-mail you my number. I already took the power steering reservoir bracket off, I had to to get the ignition coil off so the passenger side looks easy, but I'm about to just start pulling things off on the drivers side
Brian--I do think my waterpump is starting to go since the car has been gradually running hotter, but if I take that off then I might as well change the opti while I'm in there and I'm trying not to spend that kind of money right now since I'm taking the wife to Bermuda this month.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:47 PM
isners
Advanced

Alot of time, and a lot of luck. Good luck
Old 08-01-2001, 02:32 PM
bnash2
Racer

My care was running hotter and I just had the radiator blown out with an air compressor....It made a big difference

Get notified of new replies

To How to change spark plug wires at the opti???

Quick Reply: How to change spark plug wires at the opti???