C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone done a freezout plug job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 01:18 PM
KDuniverse
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I do this my self? Or bring it to the chevy place? Mine look like they are rotting through and rusted.

Old 07-31-2001, 02:04 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

Hey KD

Freeze plugs should last the life of the engine. Unless your running saltwater thru the engine, or you live right on the beach.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:59 PM
weekendwrench
Burning Brakes

Freeze plugs will rust out if you don't keep your antifreeze changed and cooling system cleaned. The engine has many freeze plugs. You probably wont be able to change all of them without removing the engine. If you have one that is leaking you will need to look at where it is to determine if "you" can replace it or not. On other cars I have changed them, usually you end up pounding a screwdriver through the plug and then try to pry it out of the block with pliers or whatever you can get to it with. To reinstall get a socket that fits inside the plug and drive it in with a hammer. Brass plugs will last longer. They also sell rubber ones that expand, only use these as a last resort.

Old 07-31-2001, 08:53 PM
lowflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

There are some plugs that will be impossible to replace in the car (like the one directly behind the motor mounts). If you can see that you have some room to work it, you can drill a small hole in it and use a slide hammer to pull it out or pry it out. Once in a pinch (on the side of the road), I've pushed the old freeze plug INTO the block and just installed a new one in its place. I don't recommend it, but if you know you'll be pulling the motor soon, it should be OK for a little while. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone done a freezout plug job?

Quick Reply: Anyone done a freezout plug job?