C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EpilogII, got the waterpump in my hands...alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:01 AM
C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, got the pump from Jeff in KC. (see last week's posts) Took out the old one, put in the new one. Then I notice I sprang a leak on the motor side of the T radiator hose. Wait a couple of days. Get the new hose. Install tonight. Slighlty raining, took it out for a drive.
Running about 10 degrees hoter than I did before. This is with a new sensor. Thinking, gotta be everything getting used to everything else. With the new set up, pump, sensor, hoses, seems as if the analog is almost dead on the digital. But I'm still running 10 degrees hotter than I used too. Pulled back in the drive way and notice steam coming from under the hood. Pop the hood. No steam. Now I knows I like my single barrel bourbon, but I didn't even have one when I saw the steam. WTF. I wanna be up and running with the big dogs, but damn, I have thought of every thing. Burped the system, let it circulate, made sure the new thermo is opening, turned on the AC to make sure the fans are kicking, and I'm stilll running 10 degrees hotter than I was before. In this climate, in the middle of the summer, that may not do, let alone the road trips I got planned.
Is there something that I overlooked, or just didn't think about....I afraid to drive this beast until I can put my finger on why I'm over by 10 degrees F from the previous pump and sensors. Did I fy a sensor someplace, that I'm not aware of? Input appreciated...-C4-

Old 08-02-2001, 09:44 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see any of your prior posts, so I don't know if you ever pulled your rad for cleaning. If not, it's definitely worth the effort to do so. There's a good tech paper on it in the Forum tech section. Also check out some of the threads on the subject. I've posted how to swap the six tiny, next to impossible to reach 7mm bolts, so that they are *very* accessible.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:14 PM
weekendwrench
Burning Brakes

Did you change the thermostat? You may have one that opens at a higher temp than the prior thermostat. It could also be air still in the system. Get the car warm and run the heater to get any air out of the heater core. Run (idle) with cap off from cold engine to warm so that any air has a chance to escape.

The steam cold be from water on the outside of the radiator evaporating. My car developed a small crack in the radiator tank and would only leak when the engine wa shut off after being hot. Eventually the crack got large enough to spot the problem.

Old 08-02-2001, 02:33 PM
Camvette
Instructor

On a '94 there is a bleeder somewhere to let air out of the cooling system.(I don't know the exact location, I own an '85)I just changed my water pump last weekend and my temps dropped 10 degrees. I know I had "burp" the system several times before I got all the air out. As for the steam coming out from under the hood, I would just keep an eye on the coolent level an the temp gauge.

Get notified of new replies

To EpilogII, got the waterpump in my hands...alternatives

Quick Reply: EpilogII, got the waterpump in my hands...alternatives