C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel injection cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:27 AM
Laurie Landsittel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I use to clean the fuel injection system?
Old 08-02-2001, 10:32 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I highly recommend Rich at http://www.cruzinperformance.com/

He completely reconditioned my injector set for $80 and flow tested them. The turnaround is quick and the job excellent.

Old 08-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Paul G
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been told 3M makes about the best product for fuel injector cleaning. It is a do it yourself product done through the fuel rail, not a tank additive. Ill attach the link if I can.
http://st22.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearc...2Fnsearch.html

Old 08-03-2001, 08:09 AM
LouisBarton
Instructor

Default Re: (Laurie Landsittel)

The best way is to do it yourself. It's easy and the only tools you need are a straight blade screwdriver and channel lock pliers.(or adjustable wrench that goes to 27mm). You didn't say what year motor you have. This procedure is for a 92 to 96.
It is important that you buy only a cleaner specific for throttle body/air intake and NOT for carburators. Advance Auto parts carries STP brand at $3 and it works well.
With the engine off and cool, unscrew the rubber air intake hose from the front of the Throttle body. You'll need to unplug the wire to the MAT sensor.
Squirt cleaner into the throttle body and open the air intake plates (called butterflys) by moving the black spring loaded thing on the right (where the cables come in). You want to especially clean the areas BEHIND the butterflys and where the seal. Use an old toothbrush (or your roomate's ) and a rag to wipe off the gunk.
Next, you want to remove the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve that's on the bottom of the throttle body with the channel lock pliers. It has a wire pluged in it (remove it) and is round and about the size of a small medicine bottle. When you pull it out you will undoubtably see a little cone shaped thing on the end. It will be filthy. That is your problem with rough idle. clean it well and squiirt cleaner in the hole it came from. You will see the air hole in front of the throttle body for the idle circuit and give it a good squirt as well.
Put it all back together. The wires only go on one way so you can't mess it up. These areas are NOT well cleaned by the drive-in lube places' fuel system cleaners and yet they are the most critical for good performance.
You've now spent $3 and one half hour. Time for a test drive. Enjoy your vette
Old 08-03-2001, 08:33 AM
LouisBarton
Instructor

I just remembered. Pick up some Loctite 242 at the parts store. You'll need to coat the threads of the IAC before you put it back in. Don't use too much; coat half of the thread but around the full circumference.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:04 AM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I just had my injectors cleaned and flowed just like the other guy. The stuff that you run through the system will not remove lime deposits, but will remove fuel deposits.

Water gets in your take due to the outside temp. There is also sometimes water in the fuel that you buy. I only run Exxon, Shell, Chevron, and occassionally Citgo gas in my car. The injectors weren't real bad, but they needed cleaning. The spray pattern was off, and after the cleaning the spray pattern improved and so did the flow. The starting of my car improved also.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel injection cleaning

Quick Reply: fuel injection cleaning