C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Minimum Air Set Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:35 PM
Blake Kercovich
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to know what all is involved in doing a Minimum Air Set procedure on my '86.

In Bowling Green my car developed an erratic idle. Thanks to Jerry Watts, we discovered that the problem was a vaccum line that can come of.
Recently the car has developed a high idle.
Jerry had mentioned back in BG that if the car developed a high idle that I would need to perform the Minimum Air Set procedure from the Service Manual.
So, anyone have the Service Manual for an 86 who could clue me in on all that is invloved with this procedure?

I know that it will require setting the idle speed on the IAC, and the voltage output on the TPS.

I have those procedures documented on my website as part of the throttle body cleaning process:
http://members.tripod.com/theviperpi.../throtbod.html

Besides the IAC and TPS settings, what else is involved with the Minimum Air Set procedure?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:11 AM
fundriving
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: (Blake Kercovich)

Blake, Minimum Idle Speed Adjustment is as follows: First you have to have the plug blocking access to the idle stop screw removed because this is the screw you'll be turning to re-set engine idle. OK. 1.) ground diagnostic terminal on ALCL, 2.) turn ignition to ON, not run (do not start engine), wait 30 seconds, 3.) with ignition still ON, disconnect IAC connector, 4.) disconnect the distributor set-timing connector (remember the tan/blk wire connector near the brake booster), 5.) start engine and allow to go into closed loop (you might have to hold throttle open some to keep engine running), 6.) remove ground from diagnostic terminal, 7.) adjust idle to 400 RPM with engine in Drive (and foot on brake !!!) or 450 RPM in neutral for manual tranny, 9.) turn ignition off, reconnect IAC connector and distributor set timming connector, now you need to adjust the TPS... using a digital voltmeter connect between terminals A and B, turn ignition ON (not running) loosen TPS screws and adjust to get .54 volts, tighten screws make sure voltage doesn't change... ignition off, clear engine codes set when you disconnected the tan/blk wire and you're done.... hope this helps..

Quick Reply: Minimum Air Set Procedure