C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A stinkin Z28 beat my 84 corvette last night!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 07:59 PM
BillRed85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Firebird TTA? I thought those were very quick too.

Bill
Old 07-12-2001, 08:06 PM
BillRed85
Racer

Haha, just looking around at some TTA's and found this from a FAQ:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If the TTA really made 300 HP why did GM rate it at "only" 250 HP?

The generally accepted explanation is GM's unwritten rule which states no passenger vehicle shall have a higher horsepower rating than that year's Corvette.

In 1989 the Corvette was rated at 255 HP[/color][/QUOTE]

hehehe is that true? Sounds like something GM would do to keep vette owners happy

Bill
Old 07-12-2001, 08:09 PM
IceDigger
Racer

Yea, it sure does look alot better going fast

Got a new paint job.

Old 07-12-2001, 08:11 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

89 was the Turbo TA. It is a BUICK MOTOR!!! If you get beat by that, you have to go around and say I got beat by a BUICK!!!

Old 07-13-2001, 01:06 AM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone-I think in Corvette Fever asked why they don't build a bare bones vette. Leave off some of the bells and whistles. The guys answer was "They do. It's called a Camaro SS." I "chased one a couple of weeks ago they can haul. Those newer F bodies have the juice. Lot of new technology since the 80's.
Remember the old Kenny Rogers gambling song? "Got to know when to holdem and when to foldem"
Walt
Red '91 Coupe L-98 ZF-6

[This message has been edited by wsherrard (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-14-2001, 01:11 AM
84willnotfire
Instructor

I was on the highway and a 81 z28 was following me. I hit the gas going up a hill and he stayed with me until I hit 150 km/h. I held the throtle down and he disappeared behind me. Until the construction site ahead. So thats an example of a newer car beating a slightly older car.
Old 07-14-2001, 03:52 AM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nat96LT4
Big deal, when people ask you what you drive, you say "a Vette". He can only say his is a Camaro. Who do you think gets more looks on the street? You! Feel Better?

~No flame towards Z28 owners whatsoever! Just tryin to make him feel better.~

[/color]
This is so true, I drive an '84 and my best freind has a 2000 Z28 he spent twice as much and has more power, but he is still just a punk in a camaro.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:12 AM
BillRed85
Racer

I dunno if I'm just tired and cranky or what, but threads like this kinda **** me off. I hate when vette owners dump on other cars, like our cars are so great and everyone else is nothing.

Stuff like this makes me wish I put my new combo in my Camaro instead of my vette, Nothing would beat seeing the confused look of a middleaged man in a vette getting his @ss handed to him by me and my Camaro AND 4 Girls in the car. Our cars arent that great, and there is nothing wrong with Camaros, would you rather they bomb around in riced out civics and accords?

Bill
Old 07-14-2001, 07:43 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BillRed85
I dunno if I'm just tired and cranky or what, but threads like this kinda **** me off. I hate when vette owners dump on other cars, like our cars are so great and everyone else is nothing.

Stuff like this makes me wish I put my new combo in my Camaro instead of my vette, Nothing would beat seeing the confused look of a middleaged man in a vette getting his @ss handed to him by me and my Camaro AND 4 Girls in the car. Our cars arent that great, and there is nothing wrong with Camaros, would you rather they bomb around in riced out civics and accords?

Bill
[/color]

Let us know how the mods work out on the camaro.
Old 07-17-2001, 06:22 AM
knowledge
4th Gear

man what arogance. no flame intended but a 84 crossfire vette would have a hard time beating a new v6 camaro much less a ls1 camaro. in fact stock for stock a new ls1 will devistate crossfire and tuneport vette's and run with lt-1's. its a fact i go to the track once a month the ls1 birds and maro's run mid to low 13's with very few mods. and as far as handling ill take a new ss on the track against any stock 84. i love my 92 vette its bone stock and not driven much but i still love it. my daily driver is a 99 camaro v6 with the sports appearence package and crome zr1 rims. i get more looks and complements on my camaro then my vette. my moded v6 camaro also has beat many older tuneport and crossfire vette's. but nothing is better then killing a ricer in the vette.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:33 AM
corvettestud
Advanced

bottom line.........it's an 84
Old 07-17-2001, 03:08 PM
mikes84vette
Melting Slicks

knowledge, if you get more looks out of your camaro then you vette, well i'd hate to see what you vette looks like!! take a '84 z28 to a '84 vette who would win, take a 99 vette and 99 z28 who would win.

Old 07-17-2001, 03:40 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

>my moded v6 camaro also has beat many
>older tuneport and crossfire vette's.

Yeah right, now I have heard it all.
My 'older' 85 TPI runs 14.0 @ 99 MPH
in stock form.

http://www.rbartick.com/race_85.htm

Is your V6 camaro gonna beat that?
Old 07-17-2001, 03:54 PM
BillRed85
Racer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah right, now I have heard it all.
My 'older' 85 TPI runs 14.0 @ 99 MPH
in stock form.

http://www.rbartick.com/race_85.htm

Is your V6 camaro gonna beat that? [/color][/QUOTE]

Ummm yeah The stock V6s have over 200 HP, I think some modding could do it. Plus he didnt say what mods, plus he didnt say EVERY older Vette. Alot of 85s wont run 14 flat.

Plus I don't think the 85's came 'stock' with a hypertech chip.

Bill
Old 07-17-2001, 04:36 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil-tha-Rush:
[B
you are SUPPOSED to losHe has 17 years of improvements on his side.

[/B][/color]
What's that in back? Oh, a live axle. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2001, 04:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by BillRed85:
[B

Bill[/B][/color]
Get him to come to an autocross, then see the guy (us) with the IRS have the last laugh! [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2001, 04:52 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes84vette
not so fast to say the corvette was king in any given year. don't forget about the year GM put out that little twin turbo v-6. i belive it was 86. it would smoke a 86 vette, and any other american production car at that time. the buick grand national gnx limited edition. not sure on year maybe '85 someone will know.

[This message has been edited by mikes84vette (edited 07-12-2001).]
[/color]
Maybe so, but they looked like all the other Grand Nationals ever made. I won't say they aren't fast but come on, how about some personality. They are all EXACTLY THE SAME. I know, they come into BG every year just to **** everybody off. I don't recall seeing the Grand National factory anywhere near here. I wish they would do their crap somewhere else.

Get notified of new replies

To A stinkin Z28 beat my 84 corvette last night!!!

Old 07-17-2001, 06:01 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

In factory stock form the 86-87 Intercooled Buick GN ran very low 14s. I would not say that they were faster than the Vettes of the same year, they were about equal.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the GNs were faster 0-60 in a very cold climate, where the turbo would work best.

Old 07-17-2001, 06:10 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

>Ummm yeah The stock V6s have over 200 HP,
>I think some modding could do it.

Good luck with that. Isn't that car like a high 15 second car when stock?

>Plus he didnt say what mods, plus he
>didnt say EVERY older Vette.

My 85 has the lowest HP rating of any TPI. He said he beats a lot of TPI Vettes.

>I don't think the 85's came 'stock'
>with a hypertech chip.

My '85 runs 14.0 with just a K&N, 160 thermo, and an off-the-shelf Hypertech. If you think that my car is not stock, then so be it. I guess I cannot argue with that, but I consider my mods to be totally insignificant.
I still am running with the factory original plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, exhaust, etc..
Old 07-17-2001, 06:28 PM
knowledge
4th Gear

sorry im new here did not mean to get into flaming. remember i am a corvette owner myself. but i feel like i have 2 kids and people are putting one of them down with no other reason other then its less expensive. yes i know year 4 year the vette is always faster then its z28 counterpart. but if you want to bring it down to that. new vette around 40 grand new z around 24 grand. give me the z and 16 grand to play with and for the same price i would kill the vette on the track with 16 grand worth of modes. as far as my corvette it is a 92 black rose with black leather and a 6spd 19,000 original miles not a scratch on the paint 100% stock. my camaro does get more complements. but it also has the sports appearence package(ground effects,3pc wing) crome zr1 rims with 275/40/17's crome bb triflow exuast and a custom white leather interior. im only 24. so people my age just like the camaro better. im sure i would get more complements on the vette if i drove it more. as far as the performance on the 3800 camaro. they run mid to low 15's in stock form. my camaro has a bb triflow exuast,whisper lid,kn filter,slp cai,ile aluminum driveshaft,centerforce dual friction clutch,5spd, factory lightweight at less then 3200 pounds(a z weighs around 3500 pounds) i have beat 2 crossfire vettes on the street. i have beat my friends 85 tuneport and another tuneport only came to my door in another race. altough my friends tp has 100,000 miles on it so im sure it has lost compresion. i am upgrading the camaro with a supersix motorsports package(cam,intake,heads) along with 100 shor nos kit this month. i am expecting 12's out of the car. again no flame intended lets just remember our bowtie brothers.

Quick Reply: A stinkin Z28 beat my 84 corvette last night!!!