C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What year Vettes had aluminum pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 08:57 PM
BillRed85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my.. I have created a race car.

The 383/DFI/SuperRam fired today!!!! All I can say is.... daaaaaym. There is no way I can get a sticker, the car is just to much.

I know my timing is off and fuel is WAY off, but it starts and idles, and revs pretty damn good.

Where do I start?!? It won't idle below 1400 and the TPS is at 0% how do I bring it down? less fuel? less air? Man so many questions but I'm just glad it runs!!

Anyways, had to tell someone!

Thanks for all the help!

Bill
Old 07-18-2001, 02:47 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Wasn't it the 1969 ZL-1 Zora exotic?

The ZL1 engine was as exotic of an engine that could have ever been developed given the parameters Chevrolet had to work with 30 plus years ago.

The all aluminum 427 ZL1 was patterned after the cast iron 427 L88, but it wasn't merely just a change of the block casting material.

The ZL1 had beefier bearing journal web areas, and external web braces at places such as the front of the block where the intake manifold bolts down.

There are extra bolt pads inside the lifter valley under the intake manifold to allow for extra head bolts. The aluminum block had iron cylinder sleeves, capability for dry sump oil system and optional gear drive for the camshaft.

The ZL1 camshaft was a higher lift and different duration than the L88.

The ZL1 motor was developed by Chevrolet with the intended purpose of racing. Therefore it was necessary for Chevrolet to produce it as a regular production motor to qualify it.

But it is likely that without the efforts of Zora Duntov the engine would never have made it to production. Chevrolet produced the ZL1 motor as a RPO (Regular Production Order) option in 1969 only, and only available as a RPO option on the Corvette.

Additionally there were 1969 ZL1 Camaros produced; but only as COPO (Central office Production Order) orders.

Old 07-18-2001, 02:50 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BillRed85:
[B
......and the TPS is at 0%[/B][/color]
How'd you manage that one? [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img] That should be easily adjustable to 0.54-0.68 at idle. It's just 2 torx screws.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:50 PM
CravinMorehead
Intermediate

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:13 AM
BillRed85
Racer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How'd you manage that one? That should be easily adjustable to 0.54-0.68 at idle. It's just 2 torx screws. [/color][/QUOTE]

Wow someone replied!! hehe

nope the TPS was right @ 0% (thats DFI talk for .54v)

Bill
Old 07-26-2001, 01:29 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe .68 will set a code. Wouldn't go higher than .63. Do the procedure for setting the IAC where the IAC is disconnected and the only thing that controls idle is the set screw. This would be the first step for ya.

Get notified of new replies

To What year Vettes had aluminum pistons?

Quick Reply: What year Vettes had aluminum pistons?