C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

people who have had their auto trany rebuilt, come on in here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 04:08 PM
C4@your_door
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to rebuild my 90 auto tranny, I was wondering how much ching we are talking about? I heard around the $1500.00 area. Also How long did it take for the shop to complete? What other things should I know about this process?

Old 07-16-2001, 04:54 PM
Muskrat
Instructor

$1500 sounds about right for your transmission at a shop. should take a week because the parts for a vette are diff than for a regular car that uses your transmission. Also i see your in stratford I am 45 min from you and i rebuild transmissions on the side. I only do bench units so you will have to pull it out yourself and deliver it to me. I can do it for around $1000 depends on what it needs dont know fully till i open it. let me know if your interested.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:05 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had it done 3 times in 100K miles (lead foot). The Rebuilt Tranny (700R4)from GM costs about $1200 discounted. Then there is labor. Many shops wont touch corvette trans, because of the fact that it is part of the frame, and they have to prop the body up supposedly. Make sure you get a NEW Torque convertor. That is what I break, and then the 3/4 clutch bands go. I have added an extra trans cooler, to the system to prevent the heat buildup. Sudden acceleration breaks the vanes in the stock convertor, I am told.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:53 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard good thing about the Tranny Doctor. You might check them out.

http://thetrannydoctor.com/

Old 07-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My tranny was the GM rebuilt unit for around $1500 with a 3 yr 50K mile warranty. It died after 6 weeks and dealer rebuilt that unit and all has been great since then. Seems it was an old shelf unit that didn't have a few of the essential tech bullitens installed. Make sure whomever does the work is aware of them. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2001, 09:55 PM
Colorado Chuck
Instructor

Bought a '93 and drove it 1300 flawless miles, when I started laying down a smoke trail from a tranny leak. AAMCO rebuilt entire thing including torque convertor at a cost of $1734. After doing it I learned about other options which may well be better.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:46 AM
NHVett
Pro

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

While I had my engine out for rebuild I pulled the tranny, took it to a shop in town and they went through it for only $420.00. They pulled it apart, inspected everything and said that there was nothing wrong with it and only replaced all seals. I only did it due to the fact that my rebuilt engine was going to be a bit more muscular 350/350 and I wanted to make sure it would not fail after I put the engine back in. The shop gave me an initial estimate for major fixing of $800.00. They even loaned me a low rider tranny jack to put it back in with.

Old 07-17-2001, 08:43 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Funny how a topic seems to ''be'' there when you have a similiar problem.

Yesterday Hubby was coming home from work in the '94..and he came to a stop sign...he stopped and when he tried to go the car was acting like it was in neutral????
Took him a bit to finally get it in a gear (D) but as it sits right now have NO reverse or over drive...I fear this is NOT good. There was no warning atall...no slipping...no grinding sound....nuthin.

Did check the fluid...it is full.
was thinking maybe the filter???
Anyone with any idea??

Old 07-17-2001, 10:16 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

My 84 w/700r cost me $1500.The case was ruined,the shop had a used one laying around.
They changed cases & rebuilt it intirely,including befing it up some.
No problems since.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:08 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine cost around 1400.00 and the the shop had to do it over about 4 times because they kept screwing it up.. after threating to take further action the owner of the shop finally did it right..

Stay away from American Transmission on University in Jacksonville, Fl. !!!!!

Old 07-17-2001, 02:23 PM
Camvette
Instructor

Just had the tranny rebuilt in my '85. Cost was $1600 + fluid + tax. I had the yoke on the drive shaft replaced due to wear. The transmission shop did excellent work and includes 1 year warranty. Be sure and check the exhaust system because it is removed to get the tranny out. Mine had a minor leak which the shop fixed after I test drove the car.
The old tranny went away after making a right turn. No warning,no noise,no go!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 02:31 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Has anyone had any dealings with Fourth Gear out of Apopca, FL. They had been involved with a couple of Vette or Vette Fever pictorials about 700R4 rebuilds. I've talked to them and I think their price was about $750 trans delivered to them. Freight was another $150 (air freight). Sounds like they add later front pump and a few other little upgrades. Anyone??

Thanks,

Old 07-17-2001, 02:33 PM
Iroc
Pro

For those of you who only changed out / rebuilt your tranny, did you notice a lot more power? I know auto's zap some power just wonder if one that is going out will zap even more out of it.

My car seems like it should have more umph, and im thinking the lost umph might be in a worn out tranny, but it drives fine, and you guys said yours did until it just up and died. Just trying to chase down an idea.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2001, 02:40 PM
Pete Clough
Instructor

$1200.00 at the site below. I know it is to far away but their site has good information on 700R4's www.bowtieoverdrives.com

Old 07-17-2001, 02:44 PM
Aaron's 87
Melting Slicks

Mine cost $1000 with beefed up clutches and shift kit. Just be careful to find the best place in town. Tranny shops have a bad reputation.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:34 PM
Mike263
Racer

Originally Posted by LakotasRose:
[B
Funny how a topic seems to ''be'' there when you have a similiar problem.

Yesterday Hubby was coming home from work in the '94..and he came to a stop sign...he stopped and when he tried to go the car was acting like it was in neutral????
Took him a bit to finally get it in a gear (D) but as it sits right now have NO reverse or over drive...I fear this is NOT good. There was no warning atall...no slipping...no grinding sound....nuthin.

Did check the fluid...it is full.
was thinking maybe the filter???
Anyone with any idea??

[/B][/color]
Mine did a simialr thing last year. Stopped at red light. When the light changed trannie acted like it was in neutral at first. Finally took off with only first an second gear. Absolutely no advanced warning.

Bottom line] $1786 rebuild including R&R. Took a week.

Old 07-19-2001, 07:52 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike263:
[B
Mine did a simialr thing last year. Stopped at red light. When the light changed trannie acted like it was in neutral at first. Finally took off with only first an second gear. Absolutely no advanced warning.

Bottom line] $1786 rebuild including R&R. Took a week.
[/B][/color]
Thanks for the reply....the '94 is already at the garage ...new tranny being put in today...turned out to be a Clutch drum and after talking with the mechanic (and getting a GREAT deal) decided to go with a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To people who have had their auto trany rebuilt, come on in here.

Old 07-21-2001, 02:40 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

My 92 had a new Jasper trans put in by the previous owner. It came from Jasper Engines and Trans with a "performance rebuild" that included a 10% lower first gear for better off-line performance.I don't know the current price, but you can call for details at 1-800-827-7455. I don't work for Jasper. In fact my brother works for their competition, ATK.I just am very pleased with the performance of my tranny.

Old 07-22-2001, 01:11 AM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

What a jinx, After responding to this topic, my trans goes out like it heard me or something. Anyone heard about a bullet proof trans from level ten? $2400. I am walking agin, dammit! Grrrr. The new powerful engine must be responsible.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I got your email, I don't have any good transmissions in at the moment but I'm looking around for you! $1,500 is way too much from what I usually would charge, but you're in a different area. I can probably get it a lot less with the local transmission man here in NC. But shipping may be a hassle for you, and a rebuilt unit just sent outright to you may be feasible. Like I said, I will see what I can do!

Good luck, sorry to hear of your troubles....
C.J.

Quick Reply: people who have had their auto trany rebuilt, come on in here.