C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Paging everyone who has switched to a carb.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 11:08 PM
GENEL.98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wanting to see some pics and know what all they did to switch over. Thanks Gene.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:55 PM
GENEL.98
Advanced

anyone out there. I know 1fasttpi did it. can I at least here from him.
Thanks Gene.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:18 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene,
I just completed my conversion recently. I don't have any way to post any pictures, but will answear questions if you have any.
Ziggy

Old 07-18-2001, 08:46 PM
GENEL.98
Advanced

Thanks for replying Ziggy. I was wanting to know if the car is any faster with the carb.
What did you do with the wiring harnness. Did you remove it from the car. Does your dash gauges still work. If your car is a automatic how are you locking up the torque converter. And how did you hook up the kick down calble and the throttle calble. What intake and air cleaner did you use. And last of all did it all fit under the hood or did you cut it. Thanks Gene.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:01 AM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gene,
I finished my car recently and I don’t have many miles on it or I should say "racing" miles. I can not say if my car is any faster or not, because this is completely different engine that I have from the previous one. I had 355 with Mini Ram II on it, and now it’s 383 with carburetor. It’s definitely faster than 355, but I am not sure how much faster. I was able to go 13.60 ¼ mile with my old set up, and 383 fells like it could be low 12 sec car or high 11s with some good tires. But than again, I don’t have any date to back it up, all it is it’s my guess based on the way the car pulls vs. before.
I also run 3,73 rear gears and auto transmission.

Wires.
I cut all the wires that I was not going to use any more, and left all the gauge and power supply wires in car. My dash works except for my mpg calculation.
Since I did not mess with the computer, my transmission shifts fine (I am planning to add converter locking kit for 4th gear). I purchased bracket from Summit that will take kick cable and throttle cable, w/out problem.

I am using Performer RPM intake with 750 double pumper carburetor from Holley. Air cleaner, it’s old type that no one makes it anymore, it’s very low profile, but even though it’s still sticks out of the hood. Be ready to cut it open and put some sort of scoop hood on it. For now, I am just driving with big hole in the middle of my hood and get lots of attention, but it’s because it actually sounds “killer”. I only took it last weekend for some autocross and got 5 people complementing me on sound. All I have it’s gutted cat, and pair of Dynomaxes, but the actual sound is coming from the cam it self. For that I need to thank Monty who help me select it.
Reason I did my conversion is because I was not having luck with my engine rebuilder and it's lots of hassle to get the engine to run right w/out spending some major $. Now I have set up that I can play with and even screw up and still be able to find out whats wrong.
Ziggy

Old 07-21-2001, 12:05 AM
GENEL.98
Advanced

Thanks Ziggy, That helps alot. Gene

Old 07-21-2001, 11:11 AM
MCAF84
Instructor

heres another option for you, with my set up i can close the hood with .25 inch clearance, its a great sleeper that i drive every day with A/C

Get notified of new replies

To Paging everyone who has switched to a carb.

Quick Reply: Paging everyone who has switched to a carb.