C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cut off stock mufflers,... how come exhaust not much louder???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 03:15 AM
Mike_94vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my Power Effects system in the mail today (not the cat-back system, just the rear y-pipe from the stock resonator back and the two tuneable power capsules). I cut off the stock mufflers 10-1/2 inches after the stock resonator, just like the instructions say. For grins, I fired up the car before bolting on the new system and was somewhat shocked on how quiet it still was. It definitely had a better tone than before, but wasn't much louder.

Is it the stock resonator thats keeping it quiet, or could it be possible that I have a plugged cat?? My original plan was to bolt up the PE system and then have a muffler shop remove the stock resonator and attach some straight pipes in its place, but I expected more after cutting off the stock mufflers.

I think tomorrow I'll unbolt the resonater from the cats and see what that sounds like.. guess would be a good time to peek inside the cats at that time also.

Old 07-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I fired mine up with the stock cat-back removed. It was pretty loud, mainly because the exhaust was hitting right under you as it came off the cats. From outside the car it wasn't THAT loud. The resonator is probably making yours quiter than that.

Old 07-17-2001, 11:08 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I just eliminated my mufflers and it is a lot louder when you get on it, but not really at idle. Also, did you have someone else rev it while you were behind the car? Mine didn't sound that loud when I was sitting in the car, but then I had a friend rev it while I stood behind and I could really tell the difference then.

Old 07-17-2001, 04:28 PM
84willnotfire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cut off cat make much louder.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:52 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It's the resonator, I wouldn't mess with the cats as it can contribute to other ecm issues.

Om my 95 I cut out the resonator and had 3 chamber flowmansters. Since you have already added your mufflers i would have the resonator removed , it will definately wake up the sound of your car...

Mo

Get notified of new replies

To Cut off stock mufflers,... how come exhaust not much louder???

Quick Reply: Cut off stock mufflers,... how come exhaust not much louder???