C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can't get rid of the ping

Old 07-18-2001, 02:13 AM
Ezgoin721
CF Senior Member

I can't seem to find the answer to the detination problem. I've retarded the timeing from 10 degrees back to the recommended 6 degrees, put a new connector on the knock sensor, added octaine booster to the premium fuel. I've put the car on a scope and everything else seems to check out! What are the chances that the knock sensor itself could be bad?
Any other ideas! (10.2-1 compression)

Old 07-18-2001, 02:41 AM
lowflyer
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

I had the same problem and thought the knock sensor was bad, only to find out (thanks to this forum) that it was because I used RTV to seal the old knock sensor and I over torqued it. I took it out, cleaned it, and retorqued it and now the pinging is gone.
Did you pull your plugs to see if it is running too hot? May want to try a colder plug or fattening up your fuel pressure. Also are you sure its detonation and not something else rattling? Does it only happen at WOT or at part throttle? Sorry I couldn't be of much more help. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:29 AM
Ezgoin721
CF Senior Member

Lowflyer, I used Threadlock on my knock sensor when I installed it, but I just tightend it up without thinking about a specific tourqe. What is the tourqe setting supposed to be? Also, there seemed to be no pinging when I first put the engine back in the car until after I drove it hard for the first time. I've checked the plugs twice. The first time they were quite white, the second time I had run a tank of fuel with octaine boost and they looked good, even though the ping was still present. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet.

Any other ideas?

Old 07-18-2001, 12:07 PM
J Z06
CF Senior Member

I'm getting goosebumps. . My Car was at LPE for the past three months for this issue. I had an over agressive timing issue. All set now,and on it's way back to me.

Now... where do you have your timing set..TOTAL not initial. If it's off a little, that could cause problems. Also, what is your fuel pressure? Have you attached the gauge to the windshield and assured it doesn't drop off? I think you have 26 pound injectors right? Those are what I have. I also added an LPE fuel pump(un-necessary) to add more fuel...It's there now .

I know the frustration of this matter. Simply put....Cars are getting a tad too complicated. As much as I hate them, those carbed oldies would NOT have this problem,and if they did...Joe or Moe could figure it out.

I tried to add some pointers here. Let us know what you find out,and I hope it's solved soon. Keep in touch.....

Jay

Old 07-19-2001, 01:52 AM
Ezgoin721
CF Senior Member

JD, I have'nt been able to check the fuel pressure yet (have a guage on order), but that could be the problem...or at least part of the problem. The timing is set at the factory recommended 6 degrees,down from the 10 degrees I had it at, but it didn't seem to do much except make my idle problem worse. If I load it up with octaine boost it seems to help, but not eliminate the ping. I talked to LPE this morning and they said dial more fuel mixture into the chip, and run 48 psi fuel pressure. I'll try the fuel pressure first, and then have Craig Marcho burn another chip if that dosn't take care of the problem.

By the way, I'm diggen the idea of your 11.84 1/4. I hope when I get the problems worked out of mine, I can turn that kind of time

Old 07-19-2001, 02:31 AM
J Z06
CF Senior Member

EZ......

Sounds like a timing or fuel delivery issue. I'm leaning towards timing due to my own experience. It's very important to know the total timing and fuel pressure. Try and get someone with a scanner and see what that baby is doing. Also, is this a part throttle ping/WOT ping? Mine had a 2500RPM tip in ping and WOT.. In fact it did the 12.43 and the 11.84 detonating the WHOLE Way down! There's more in it for sure.

Not tooting my horn....but the 11.84 is a S*** e.t. for this car. It might have helped if I had SOME HOOK! I think in it's current state it'll go mid 11's comfortably and 10's when I juice it! ...Yes,NOS will find it's way in soon. I just have to enjoy it first a little.

Good Luck,and stay in touch on this. Also, see my post on General Discussion.. I snapped a few pics of the rig and the car coming out this afternoon.

Old 07-19-2001, 09:38 AM
Ezgoin721
CF Senior Member

JD,
Thanks for the tips! The ping seems to be present all through the RPM range...light throttle thru WOT. It's not a bad knock, just a constant ping. I'll be playing with the fuel pressure this weekend, hopefully It'll come round. JUICE!! Your gonna juice that monster! COOL! I'll try and send you a couple pictures of mine! Sounds like we have similar setups!
Old 07-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Mikez40
CF Senior Member

I had a pinging problem on my 86, when ever I hit the gas hard. I changed the plugs to Bosch Platinum, put in an Accel Super Coil,Dist. cap and rotor and Accel high perf Spark plug wires, I think they were 8mm or 8.5 mm can't remmember, it has been a few years. Anyway, the pinging went a way. Also had some hesitation when I would get on it. That went away also. Don't know if this will fix your problem, but it sure solved mine.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:17 PM
Ezgoin721
CF Senior Member

Mike, I have a new Accel Brute Thunder coil, cap, and rotor. I have new Taylor 8.0 mm wires, and Accel plugs. I might try different plugs, but the fact that the pinging only started after a very spirited drive makes me doubt that it's the plugs or any exterior component.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:23 AM
GlennS87
CF Senior Member

Maybe you need plugs in a colder heat range.

Old 07-20-2001, 11:43 AM
J Z06
CF Senior Member

Good Suggestion.

Mine has AC FR5LS. I think Good bud Bill's 86 Coupe mentioned FR3LS are colder. Give them a try. If it's worth anything..mine are gapped at .035

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't get rid of the ping

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: