C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aluminum valve covers on an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 11:57 AM
95Aqua
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at some aftermarket valve covers and noticed that most of them say "87 - up SBC center bolt.......Not for LT1/LT4" Anybody know what the difference is?
Old 07-18-2001, 03:13 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think it is the height/profile. Some of them may work but hit or rub where the alternator sits. Don't know for sure, but this is my best guess. I know the alternator is a problem area for some valve covers.

Old 07-18-2001, 04:50 PM
ChrisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a cast aluminum valve cover (the tall style) available. It has a polished strip on the top. This valve cover is only available with a stud girdle (which it comes with). The cover is "tall" to clear the girdle, as well as notched to clear the alternator. The cover actually attaches to the stud girdle through a custom bolt setup.

These are not in stock, but made to order. This is the only drop in aluminum valve cover I am aware of though.

Old 07-18-2001, 05:24 PM
95Aqua
Instructor

Thanks Chris, but I'm looking for a stock replacement short valve cover (Aluminum). Several companies make them - Edelbrock, Billet Specialties, Moroso...they just say "Not for LT1/LT4". I was just wondering if it was clearance on the Alt bracket or bolt pattern or dimension or what?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 06:19 PM
ChrisB
Pro

They need to be centerbolt - but aside from that if they are a "short" cover they should clear the alternator - or you might need to clearance them slightly with a ball-peen hammer. I have a set of chrome ones, but can't recall any aluminum ones off the top of my head. I will check around though.

Old 07-20-2001, 11:41 AM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ChrisB,
How about a picture of the LT1 valve cover and girdle setup. If you can get it on the forum please email me a copy.
Thanks Dave
Old 07-20-2001, 01:03 PM
95Aqua
Instructor

Here are some that I'm looking at -

Any of the others can be ordered in the tall version like below -

Old 07-20-2001, 01:32 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have a buddy that has a set like the second picture. He still has them sitting on a shelf because he could not get them to work with 1.6 roller rockers (they hit the underside). They have already been clearanced for the alternator and are in new condition. If you are still using 1.5 rockers, I can put you in touch with him. You could probably work a pretty fair deal for them. Email me if so.

Old 07-20-2001, 07:50 PM
RXVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95Aqua
I've been looking at some aftermarket valve covers and noticed that most of them say "87 - up SBC center bolt.......Not for LT1/LT4" Anybody know what the difference is?[/color]
Corvette Central and Ecklers sell a set of polished aluminum valve covers which are the exact same size, shape and height as factory covers on LT-1's and will fit perfectly. They are available w/ and w/out the C4 logo and run $300 /pair+. Take a look in the cat.
Jeff
Old 07-20-2001, 08:08 PM
92SoonerC4
Drifting

I have the moroso's on my LT1. I had to get them slightly modified. If you are intersted, I can take some pics and email them to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum valve covers on an LT1

Quick Reply: Aluminum valve covers on an LT1