C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Instrument Panel Flashing SYS Where Gauge And Fuel Information Should Be on '96 CE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 06:38 PM
california91207
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does it mean when the word SYS flashes intermittently where gauge and fuel information appear on the instrument panel (next to the speedometer)on my '96 CE?

Old 07-18-2001, 06:40 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

It means that the CCM has picked up an error. There is a way to extract the error and diagnose the problem, but prior to that have you had any battery problems or is this the original battery. If yes, battery problems can cause this error and it can be fixed with a replacement.

Old 07-18-2001, 06:43 PM
california91207
Racer

Thanks for the super quick response. At the same time, I've noticed that my battery is having a little trouble cranking, I was actually going to get it checked this afternoon.

David
Old 07-18-2001, 07:34 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pull CCM codes without any special equipment. Look in Helm service manuals if you have them.

My OEM battery lasted 3 years before becoming weak and got the SYS message. I also notice it cranked a little slower.

Found a Delco battery at K-Mart for $70 but its not an exact replacement.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:57 PM
LT-IV
Racer

Is it a bad battery (shot) or can it be a low battery?
I noticed this on my 96 the last time I drove it. Seemed to run OK. At the time it hadn't been started in a few months but the battery (Diehard) was less than a year old.

Thanks,
Frank

Old 07-19-2001, 12:32 AM
california91207
Racer

Took the car to my mechanic, it was a bad battery. 2o minutes and $70.00 I was on my way. Car cranks great and the SYS light is gone.

Thanks for your help,

David
Old 07-19-2001, 01:22 AM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Amazing timing! The forum is really a helpful place. I was driving this evening and the SYS light came on and flashed intermittently. The car was running perfectly - however, I had left my V-1 radar detector on for two days at least. I did this once before (I had left the V-1 and the map light in the mirror on)and the battery was so drained that I had to do a quick charge to start the car. This time the car started without any noticeable problems or slow cranking.

I drove about 20 minutes at speed (70+), parked the car and ran an errand in a store. Came out and the car started and no more SYS flashing.

I am guessing, based on what you guys have said here, that I have a low battery. The 20 minutes of driving at speed charged it up enough to overcome the ECM detection.

Does that sound plausible? I still have the OEM battery in the vehicle I have a 96 CE LT4). Is it time to replace? What do you guys recommend as a replacement battery? I'd like to get as close to the original as possible.

Thanks for any observations

Old 07-19-2001, 07:52 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I am not a GM technician, after reading this section of the Helm's manual, I pulled the codes. SYS means a general system fault not directly related to the engine area. The engine has their own codes. I had 5 or six codes set, all low voltage related. I forget which ones.

From my research, the SYS will light up when the CCM see a sensor go below than 9V. On start up with a weak battery, current draw by the starter results in lower than 9V to other systems.

I would like to have this confirmed by a certified GM tech before making it gospel.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:13 AM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

So do you think that the reset is automatic once the car is shut down and restarted provided the battery has been charged up by running the car? I didn't have to do any resetting and the SYS has never re-appeared. I ran all day today without any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Panel Flashing SYS Where Gauge And Fuel Information Should Be on '96 CE

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Flashing SYS Where Gauge And Fuel Information Should Be on '96 CE