C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hi...Brand New To The Forum - Have An Opti-Spark Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 03:48 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my very first post - what a way to start! About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I took my car out of the garage for an afternoon drive. I got about 8 feet and it started to buck, shake, sputter and then cut out all together. Started it again, same thing. In the back of my mind I am thinking Opti-Spark is crapping out on me. The car had been sitting in the garage with the hood up for two weeks as I had pulled the wheels to clean/detail suspension,rims,tires,engine,etc. My thought being that moisture may have settled on the Opti-Spark as it is a cool (temp.)garage. Anyway, was able to get the motor to run (sporadically) long enough to bring it up to temp. Once the fan kicked on, it seemed as though the Opti-Spark was starting to "dry out". This took a while, but the motor eventually smoothed out and ran very strong.

As the car had thrown at least one code, hooked it up and the following codes came up: #16 - Ignition Sys. Problem. Loss of low res. Pulse Signal. #36 - Ignition Sys. Problem. Loss of high Res. Pulse Signal. #43 - Elec. Spark Control ESC Module or Sensor Problem.

What do you guys make of this mess? Can an Opti-Spark slowly fade out, or do they just cut out all at once? Cleared the computer and no other codes came up again. Took the car out today for a 1 1/2 hour ride and it ran strong without any problems. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Husker Vette
Le Mans Master

Can't help you with the Opti Spark problem, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum...

You will find some very knowledgeable people here that will have an answer for you on almost any question that you may have....

Pictures..... We Need Pictures.....

Old 07-19-2001, 04:19 PM
MY 95
Team Owner

CI 2-3-4-5-6-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

welcome
Old 07-19-2001, 04:23 PM
mikes84vette
Melting Slicks

welcome to the forum!

Old 07-19-2001, 04:24 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Husker Vette -

Thanks for the Welcome. While I do have plenty of "regular" photos of my car, I have no idea how to get them into my signature (pretty new to the computer, as well). The car is actually a 1st Place Best Of Show Winner with over 100 other cars competing, and that was my very first show. I really enjoy the car, but I am worried that my Opti-Spark is going bad.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:41 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

To answer your question, yes an opti can slowly go bad. I know one guy in our club who dried his out with a hair drier and then let it sit for a couple days and it has been running fine for 6 months. I'm not an expert on codes but I think #36 is a pretty good sign that the opti is sick.

Welcome, and good luck!

Old 07-19-2001, 04:42 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read on the forum they can go slowly. I'm sure someone will chime in with details to help you. If you need new parts, 18carfan is the one to call....

Notice any coolant leaking at all? Many times the water pump will start to fail and leak on the opti.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:43 PM
NX1991
Instructor

I just go rid of a 1996 WS6 formula, and replaced the optispark just before I sold it. I do think that they can gradually go out. For a few months it hesitated every now and then. Then all of a sudden it dropped 4 cylinders. I checked all of the plugs to come to that conclusion. On 1994 and newer there are two vent tubes to blow out debris in it. You can try it, but you will never get the moisture out. The optispark cost me $460, and took me about 6 hours to replace. Once I replaced it. It ran like a champ.

Hope this helps... and welcome to the forum

oops your car is a 1993 so exclude the vent tubes... just buy a new one

Old 07-19-2001, 04:45 PM
Husker Vette
Le Mans Master

To get your pic in your signature, the first thing you need to do is get it out on a website.... Then link to it.....

You can get a website through the forum here, and there are plenty of tips in the help section.....

If you still need help send me an E Mail, and I will help get you up and running.....

Old 07-19-2001, 05:48 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it could be your opti-spark, But check your spark plugs also. Mine did the same thing a month ago, but I had a loud backfire and then sputter for a few minutes.
Then it smoothed out and ran ok. I checked the spark plugs and my number 1 plug was really bad. Replace my plugs and car has been running fine ever since. Their was 61,000 miles on the plugs.

Old 07-19-2001, 11:04 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Thanks for all of the replies. Sometimes I think that it is not "if" the Opti-Spark will go, but more like "when". Really cannot help but think that these things should have been a recall - far too many problems on too many cars. As for mine, I will have to play the wait and see game, I guess. I have also heard of people taking a hair dryer to them with success as the above post states. The clincher is, once this nightmare is replaced, what's to say that you won't have the same problem down the road again?

Old 07-20-2001, 02:30 AM
purple jinx
Racer

code 36 is the relays right behind your battery, replace them both, about $10 apiece, both have same part #, and that code should clear
Old 07-20-2001, 02:57 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome
A lot of good folks here to answer questions, or just shoot the breeze. Have fun, yer livin' the dream. Bob

Old 07-20-2001, 03:34 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome!

Old 07-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

welcome to the forum!!!

when my opti went bad it did so gradualy.. it was the same situation you described.. the bucking and stalling... i let it sit a day after it first spell and it seemed to clear up.. but with in a week it would still idle normal but the second you gave it any throlle it began to sputter and kick.. Mine was under warranty when it happened but I saw the dealer cost and i think it was something like 800 to 900 dollars for part and labor..

it is to bad it is such a hard part to replace/... good luck

Old 07-21-2001, 11:39 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Ruby6spd -

You are very correct in your price. I have "lined up" the work, so to speak, in advance from someone I trust to do the job correctly, and the cost will be right around $850.00 parts and labor. He told me that he will modify the system to a '95 style with the vacuum system so that it should not give me any more grief.

I happened to take the car to a local Corvette Cruise last night ( about 35 min. from my home) and it ran very strong. It started and idled with no problems, and threw no codes. Go figure. I am cautious at this point, though, keeping in mind that this thing could be on it's way out.

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I am so glad that I found this Forum to talk to other Vette owners who share the same interests and problems. This place is great.

Old 07-21-2001, 01:30 PM
9C4403
Pro

Ruby6spd. Man thats a good looking car!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Hi...Brand New To The Forum - Have An Opti-Spark Question

Old 07-21-2001, 01:33 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

This is also my first post. What a coincidence that I have the same burning issue about the Opti-spark.Mine was replaced by the previous owner shortly after a water pump replacement.Because I live in humid georgia, I'm concerned that any vent will make the problem worse, not better.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:46 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Happy first post

Old 07-21-2001, 11:18 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

welcome to the forum like was allready said repace your plugs and wires first youd change them anyway if you do the optispark!!

Quick Reply: Hi...Brand New To The Forum - Have An Opti-Spark Question