Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Suggestions... headers & X-pipe, or LT4 HOT cam kit??

C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Suggestions... headers & X-pipe, or LT4 HOT cam kit??

Old 07-20-2001, 05:41 AM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

I am trying to decide what to do. I really want to get some more performance out of my vette. I can't decide whether to dig into the engine and put in the full LT4 HOT cam kit and redo the timing chain and gears at the same time, or to just work more with exhaust.

I currently have the stock headers and the exhaust is nice. There is a small 2" (i believe) H-pipe before where the resonator used to be. There are 3" pipes where the resonator used to be, and flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with the stock tips. I have heard from a few guys that a set of Hooker or Mack (sp?) longtube headers and a 3" X-pipe (Dr. Gas) where my resonator used to be should add some very significant horsepower (est. of 50 or so). Of course I would remove the H-pipe in there now. I know that long tubes would require removal of the cats, which will be OK, while I'm in Oklahoma for school, but that means I have to find a "friend" in the inspection field when they start emissions testing in Collin County. Of course then I have to also figure out how to trick the computer into a perfect reading for the one O2 sensor after one of the cats.

Anyway, what do you guys think. Both of these would cost about the same (assuming of course that I did the work). If I go the longtube option, I may let someone do the install because I have read they are packed in there pretty well. If I go the cam kit option, then I have to worry about something else inside the engine letting loose because of the added hp and tq.

I eventually plan on the LT4 HOT cam kit, LT4 ported and polished heads, LT4 intake manifold, long tube headers, x-pipe, etc... Whether this all happens before or after a rebuild is up to when something inside lets loose.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:27 AM
MaxPower
CF Senior Member

I might be wrong but I would say go with headers first. Since to take full advantage of the cam you will need headers anyway. Also you can pick up some 02 simms for like 80 bucks if you remove your cats.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:39 AM
lcvette
CF Senior Member

start with the headers, always start at the exhaust and intake and work your way into the motor this way when you make your motor mods, the car will be set up to accept them nicely. also having a 94 i don't believe you have after cat O2 sensors, may be mistaken but i think that only late production 95's had one aft cat O2 sensor and 96's have O2 after each cat. i do know personally that my 95 has only 1 and i installed a simmulator i purchased from MET electronics last night, no codes and she feels a little better under load now, im sure it must have richened the mixture a bit which is what i needed, my plugs have been running a bit white and burned looking. anyways, start at the very front and back of the car and work your way inthis is a good rule of thumb!! good luck, i am also thinking of the hot cam kit so if you do yoiurs please post results on it!!

thanks,
chris

Old 07-20-2001, 12:52 PM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

Yeah, I know to always do intake and exhaust first. I was wondering if my exhaust was good enough yet. I guess it could use some more improvement. What do you guys think of the 50rwhp increase from an X-pipe and headers that a guy at work told me? I think that is a high estimate. I would expect more like 30 or so.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:26 PM
Nathan Plemons
CF Senior Member

I can tell you that the hot cam will really light it up on a stock exhaust as well. It's just one of those things, exhaust will help, and a cam will help, you just have to have both to get the FULL advantage of either.

I went with the cam because I want to keep my car emmisions legal. The stock manifolds also keep the underhood temps down a little. I really just depends on what you want. It won't be any harder to do one before/after the other. It really depends on what you want to do, and what your budget allows.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:27 PM
SPD DMN
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

You would have to smoke some pretty high quality drugs to get 50 hp out of headers and an x-pipe. My opinion is do the cam first since the exhaust is not really a restriction to your system right now. You will get more of an immediate benefit (SOTP) from the cam. I think you would be real dissappointed if you did the headers and nothing else.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:31 PM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vette92
You would have to smoke some pretty high quality drugs to get 50 hp out of headers and an x-pipe. My opinion is do the cam first since the exhaust is not really a restriction to your system right now. You will get more of an immediate benefit (SOTP) from the cam. I think you would be real dissappointed if you did the headers and nothing else.

[/color]

Yep, what I was thinking. 50hp is way too high, and the difference I would see would be less anyhow because of how good it is right now, compared to the difference there would be between stock exhaust and a better setup.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:41 PM
Timmy!
CF Senior Member

Will the LT4 Hot Cam pass emissions? It says it's for "Off-Road" use only.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Nathan Plemons
CF Senior Member

I think there are several california people here running that cam. I still have all my emmisions equipment, but since we don't have inspections here I don't know for sure. Anyway, if it won't pass then I might was well finish it off and get rid of the rest of my emmisions stuff
Old 07-20-2001, 04:30 PM
SPD DMN
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I passed Dallas sniffer emissions testing with the Hotcam in my old LT1 without a problem.

Chris
Old 07-20-2001, 04:54 PM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vette92
I passed Dallas sniffer emissions testing with the Hotcam in my old LT1 without a problem.

Chris
[/color]
Ok, that's good. If I go the header route later on, which eliminates the cats, then I have a place I can get it "tested", but the problem now is all of these hidden sniffers.. like the one on the Dallas N. Tollway on one of the exit ramps in north dallas. It sniffs your system out as you drive by. Dunno how, but it does....

Old 07-20-2001, 05:18 PM
SPD DMN
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Usually when you do the full length headers, you go with some high flow cats after the collector anyway.

You may also want to consider just changing the convertor to a 26-2800 stall unit. Should make it take off much better. I know my wife's LT1 Auto is a dog out of the hole.

Chris
Old 07-20-2001, 05:22 PM
yngvetdrvr
CF Senior Member

What's a sniffer? I just give my 12 bucks and get the sticker ! Don't forget if you get either the cam or the LT's, a reprogramming will be nessecary to reap the full benifits. It will also smooth out the car and may help pass emmisions if that is a problem. Thats another 300 from ed wright and if you do anything later, you will need it reprogrammed. More money. Best bet, 2800 vigilante and 3.73s. Hardly any programming and total cost was 1400$ parts and labor. With the converter alone I hit 12.7 in this horse butt weather. I bet 30 more HP won't get ya into the 12s Also no emmision to worry about with the drive train bolt ons. Just a though....

Old 07-20-2001, 05:25 PM
Timmy!
CF Senior Member

I would do the drive train stuff, but my cam is shot so I have to replace it....

Too many choices!
Old 07-20-2001, 07:31 PM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by I_HATE_Mustangs
I would do the drive train stuff, but my cam is shot so I have to replace it....

Too many choices!
[/color]
I agree.. too many choiceas!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions... headers & X-pipe, or LT4 HOT cam kit??

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: