C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My brakes are sticking! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 06:14 PM
confederado120
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 85 is having brake problems. After driving for approximately 20 minutes the brakes start grabbing. Pedal gets very firm, to the point of not having any free travel.Brakes grab to the point that when at a stop the car will not roll unless it is forced by generous amount of throttle. I have completely flushed and bleed the system. Replaced right front caliper, doesn't grab as hard now. Should I replace the left front, or does this sound like something else? Such as master or booster.

Thanks Walter
Old 07-21-2001, 06:21 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

I'd flush the system again. I had this problem on my motorcycle once (very scary).
after completely replacing the fluid, problem was solved.
there is also 2 other possiblities.
1: warped rotors, they can cause the piston to move in and out and suck air into the system(this happened more on the C3).
2: the rubber hoses to the caliper can break down on the inside and swell up, making it a one way valve (you can't tell this by looking at them).only fix for this is to replace.
since you have replaced the fluid once I am now leaning towards the rubber hose theory.
hope this helps
RJ
Old 07-21-2001, 11:17 AM
traxx1
Racer

Why would you only replace 1 set of brake pads and not the other side? did you have the disc turned befor you put on the single pad set? and did the car pull to one side before you did anything, just curious.

traxx1
Old 07-21-2001, 04:43 PM
confederado120
Intermediate

Car would pull to right when brakes started to grab. Only replaced right caliper, didn't replace the pads yet. They looked good about 75%.Budget is low right now. Trying to save some money.Brakes grabbed this morning jacked up the car. It is definitely the fronts, both sides left and right that stick.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:22 AM
confederado120
Intermediate

flushed and bleed fluid still grabbing. no warping, had rotors turned and installed new pads. still grabbing, guess I will try new lines.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:56 PM
WEF's 95
Melting Slicks

If it pulls to the right, I would suspect the left caliper binding. Drive it until it fails then jack it up and see which wheel doesn't spin freely.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:51 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by ol,RJ:
[B
2] the rubber hoses to the caliper can break down on the inside and swell up, making it a one way valve (you can't tell this by looking at them).only fix for this is to replace.[/B][/color]
My $.02 is one this one. Had it happen on my S-10 Blazer. Does one wheel get hotter than the others? If so that could be the problem.

If one does heat up there's a fairly easy way to check. When the brakes bind up loosen the bleeder screw. If there is pressure built up in the line the bleeder will spray brake fluid just like someone is pressing the pedal.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:36 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Replace the brake hoses, both, I would suggest stainless steel braided, if you can swing the price. Next get two bottles of gas line deicer and a new bottle of brake fluid. Flush the system with the deicer to clean out all of the accumulated build up of dirt and water. Follow the flush, front and rear with clean brake fluid. The lines should be flushed starting at the right rear, then left rear, right front, left front.

Old 07-22-2001, 10:18 PM
toutln1
Advanced

Your brake hoses are swollen inside, not allowing pressure to release. Fluid is flowing through lines when stepping on brake,because it is under a great deal of pressure.Pressure wont release because there is nothing forcing it back through it just free flows back, or at least it is supposed to.Hope this helps.Step on the brake then see if your wheels will rotate if not release bleed valve and if your tire spins freely you can bet that is the culprit

Get notified of new replies

To My brakes are sticking! Please help

Quick Reply: My brakes are sticking! Please help