Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

black stuff from mufflers getting on my rear bumper

C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

black stuff from mufflers getting on my rear bumper

Old 07-20-2001, 07:22 PM
jparr
CF Senior Member

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

why is this happening it is a black, kinda look like carbon build up is my vette telling sumthing isnt right help i jus changed my plugs, fuel filter,cleaned my TB and jus did a porting on the plenuim. Oh i also caught a spark plug wire arching on to my plenuim i fixed. help me if u can J

Old 07-20-2001, 07:28 PM
Willycool

WELL....Dude the same thing happened to me..check my past postings under Willycool.
What year is your car?
Do you have an IDLE Surging Problem?
EGR working?
Injectors working?
fuel pump working?

Give me some more details and I will try to help you.

Peter
Old 07-20-2001, 07:55 PM
89C4L98
CF Senior Member

If you have black "stuff" getting on your bumper that isnt cool. I have seen cars with leaking head gaskets emit oil and thats the black stuff you could see. Or you car is running extremely rich. I would do some more testing. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:05 PM
AKS Racing
CF Senior Member

The black stuff you are describing is carbon from the motor running very rich. Start by verifying that you have no codes. Sometimes the O2 will die causing the car to go to limp home mode, or very rich. Check the FP. I would need details to make a recommendation there. This may cause poor driveability, poor fuel economy, failure of sensors (i.e. O2 sensor), as well as a possibility of washing the plugs and the cylinder walls (in extreme cases) if not fixed. What all did you change at that one time? Are all sensors reconnected. Retrace your steps, check everything. The root cause can be almost anything, but the result is too much fuel, and the end result is the black stuff on the bumper. Probably smells quite rank too.

Aaron
Old 07-20-2001, 08:09 PM
jparr
CF Senior Member

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

I do have a code 36 mas air flow burn off module thats it if this can help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: black stuff from mufflers getting on my rear bumper

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: