C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange..heater core/condensation issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 01:50 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey people..
This isnt a problem my Vette but Im going to cross reference it with the vette here.

first off, my 91 Lumina began to get alot of water on the floors..I mean ALOT...
I estimated a gallon or so.
It started a few days ago when I drove to KY with the a/c on all the way.

Heres the thing..the 91 Lumina has the heater core underneath the dash panel between both sides of the floor so it can leak either way.Its also accessible by just dropping the plastic housing down and its right abve the floor, easily dropped out.

BUT there was ALOT of water in there too..this housing is a drain box and has a rubber grommet hose that goes through the firewall.
The drain hose was plugged, which explains why the a/c hasnt been leaving them water puddles from condensation as much as I used to see on the driveway.

I cannot smell antifreeze or see any green and my coolant level has not gone down...
I think the a/c unit going through the evap core and vents causes condensation around the core (the evaporater core is also here, but behind the heater core shield closer to the firewall inside)
and it filled the houing up with water over time since it had no place to drain because the drain was plugged with dirt and etc.

The water thats left on the core that was still dripping off was coming off clear and now its almost stopped and hasnt leaked since Ive driven the car earlier today.

So im pretty confident the heater core is fine and the drain plug was just blocked off.

Now...I havent done the vettes heater core, BUT is there a possibility that some vette owners have replaced the core due to condesation that built up but had no where to drain?

Does the heater core around the Vette have a drain pan and or hose to drain out condensation?

I wanted to know in case ths ever happens, and theres no sign of antifreeze, it could just be a blocked drain tube.

I know the vettes a pita to do a heater core job and wanted to cross reference this if theres a similiar drain set up like most GM cars.
If so, ill be sure to clean that area out when I can.

Old 07-25-2001, 09:54 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Somewhere on the evaporator box is a drain hole. It is blocked and the water is backing up and comming into the car. The drain hole should be in the bottom centre of the box.

Old 07-25-2001, 11:22 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Somewhere on the evaporator box is a drain hole. It is blocked and the water is backing up and comming into the car. The drain hole should be in the bottom centre of the box.

[/color]
Thanks Ed....
I fixed the Lumina..no more water in the car..its draining out properly through the firewall like its supposed to.
My vette is fine as well, but Im assuming over time these drain tubes should be cleaned out and Ive never done the Vette yet.
I wasnt sure how close together the heater core and the evap core were and if they shared the same drain tube.
I know the Vettes heater core is inside the dash and I think the evap is outside the firewall so its prob not like the Lumina.

One good thing about the Lumina, if the heater core leaks, its going to flow outside the firewall, and not inside the car.(Unless the drain tube is plugged like the problem I had with the a/c water having no place else to go)
That drain box is a neat design and Im guessng the Vette doesnt have this.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange..heater core/condensation issue

Quick Reply: Strange..heater core/condensation issue