C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Funny acting Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 09:11 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed my car was starting to shift a little funny yesterday. Today on the highway i noticed my torque converter would not stay locked up..normally cruising im at 1800 rpm, and i can give it a good 1/2 way to wot before it unlocks but today, just the slightest press of the pedal and it unlocked..i was crusing around 2000-2100 today, if i slowly get on the gas, the rpms shoot up around 26-2700, the tranny isnt slipping the car would accelerate. i checked the fluid in tha tranny..its looks a little low but its had to tell because its very thin. The color is good still a nice red, but it was so thin on the dipstick i had to wipe it off and look at the rag. Im going to change the filter tonight and top off the tranny and hopefully it will be ok. Oh yeah there was also some bubbles on the dipstick, which i know isnt good. I think the fluid is just old or low and is foaming

Old 07-24-2001, 10:02 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

thanks..i'll let you know how it goes after i do the filter and top it up

Old 07-25-2001, 03:01 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep.. i'm doing mine tomorrow (filter and flush). Check to be sure the fluid doesn't smell like it is "burnt". That is a bad sign. Mine is starting to smell a little weird, which isn't good . Hope all goes well with the filter and fluid change tomorrow.. otherwise I may get to pay for a rebuild.

Old 07-25-2001, 04:15 AM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

I drove home today and the torque converter was fine on the highway for an hour. But when i got off and was crusing around 40mph it started to act funny again. I did the filter changed...damn what a mess who would of thought there was so much fluid in there. Anyway after i mopped up all the mess i put in the filter and buttoned it up. I noticed the old filter was an aftermarket design, so at least someone serviced the tranny before. Well it shifts great now..very crisp chirps into second. I can down shift from any gear and resonable speeds..no more grinding sounds just a nice smooth downshift. Im not sure about the torque converter yet since i havent taken it on the highway..i will know tommorow. Oh the tranny fluid looked ok and smelled fine, it was just a slightly darker red than the new fluid and had really no smell.

Get notified of new replies

To Funny acting Torque converter

Quick Reply: Funny acting Torque converter