C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Motor goes in soon... Suggestions??

Old 07-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so the machine shop is finally underway and should finish by the start of next week. Im looking for some advice on dropping the motor in. Should I install the Super Ram first (dont have that guy yet, should prolyl get on that I suppose) what can I install outside of the car. Im thinking the easiest way to do the swap is to:
Pull the tranny out from under the car, its sitting on the floor as I had to disconnect the drive shaft
Connect tranny and engine outside of the car, and then drop them in as one unit.

Also, I need ideas on cleaning everything up really well. The motor had 100k miles, and I want it to LOOK good as well as run good. Any ideas?
Paul

Old 07-27-2001, 10:40 AM
BillRed85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put my new motor/tranny in, I put the motor in first and then with the motor still supported by the lift, I put the new tranny in. I don't *think* there is enuf room to put them in as on unit. Besides, with the motor on the lift, it's really easy to tilt the back up and down, which makes bolting up the tranny really easy!

Bill

P.S. When bolting up the tranny, don't forget to bolt up all the ground cables, the starter wire harness and the tranny dipstick tube!
Old 07-27-2001, 11:40 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Let me know if you want to borrow my power washer .

Old 07-27-2001, 11:45 AM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to lower the motor into position and then bolt the motor mounts to the block. I had tried to lower the motor in with the mounts bolted to the block but I couldn't get it to go into position into the frame mounts that way. Just a thought for you, good luck.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:51 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Yea those mounts are gonna be tricky.... Im thinking I need to attach the tranny first though before doing the mounts, that bellhousing is alot more difficult than the mounts were. If I try to match the tranny and engine up under the car, I dont think I can move the tranny as much as Id need to to line everything up, howd you do it?? If I get the car high enough I figure I can drop it straight in and then flatten it out once the tranny clears everything...

As for the power washer we will see Im just so damn scared to hose down that car...
Paul

Old 07-28-2001, 02:53 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nomar116,
I pretty much followed the manual for pulling and installing the motor, with the exception of taking the wiper motor off, just pulled off that side's valve cover.
leave the motor mounts off until your connected to the trannie then raise it up and bolt them to the motor first, drop into the brackets and run the long bolt thru.

you asked how I got mine so clean in the other post. simple green, rags, toothbrush/paintbrush. if something dosn't look good after that then paint it.
RJ

Get notified of new replies

To Motor goes in soon... Suggestions??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor goes in soon... Suggestions??