C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just found out that the half shaft can make a clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 02:38 PM
92LT1Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted an article about my U-Joint problem. Well while I was at the corvette shop. They pulled the half shaft.

Well I found it very intresting that the HALF SHAFT actually has a rubber and metal DAMPER INSIDE! My point is this, the half shaft cannot be serviced but it can cause a clicking sound(This sound is harmless but it indicates that the damper inside has come loose. This is not a big deal but it does reveal where the "Click" sounds come from once you shift into drive or reverse or at low speeds. The tech showed me one that was clicking and he shook it ... Sure enough the damn noise is what I have heard from many Vettes and the onwer of thos vettes are baffled. Just and FYI

Old 07-27-2001, 02:50 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you can squirt silicone RTV into the half shaft and fill the space that damper sits in to keep it from moving ?

Old 07-27-2001, 02:59 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

RTV would be too heavy and unbalanced but I bet that triple expanding foam stuff they sell at home improvement stores would work really well.

Old 07-27-2001, 05:40 PM
92LT1Roadster
Burning Brakes

I guess you could. I did not see an opening in the darn thing. It was sealed on both ends like you torgue converter weld. I probably did not take a close enough look

Old 07-27-2001, 07:16 PM
David-F
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken there is cardboard in side the shaft for sound deadining, this was started in 85 because if all the problems with the 84. On an 84 all you have to do is spray motorcycle chain lub down the inside vent hole(they all have them) and watch for it coming out the outter vent hole, start the engine put it in gear and let it spread a little and that's that. I've never heard an 85 an up car have that problem. "U" joint will give you a sound like that but rust on the outter shaft splines will sound just like a half shaft and is the most comon problem, just remove the hub bearing clean the rust off the splined and coat everything with Anti-Seize Lubricant like Permatex part number 133K and put it back together. Now with the shaft out just remove the outter unt and knock the spindle in and do the samething. I know you can sometimes hear things in the shaft when you shake it but I have never heard that to be the cause of the noise while shifting into drive or reverse, it doesn't it may not be but it would be very rare, Have you cleaned the splines and lubed them?

David Fulcher
Old 07-28-2001, 10:48 AM
JIM FL
Advanced

92LT1ROADSTER,
Thanks for the FYI post. I was enjoying a nice cruise in my 87 roadster when I noticed the "sound". My first thoughts were that something expensive was begining to happen. I jacked up the rear wheels and could not find the cause or get it to make the noise. thanks and regards. Jim L

Get notified of new replies

To Just found out that the half shaft can make a clicking sound

Quick Reply: Just found out that the half shaft can make a clicking sound