C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radiator cleaning results on a hot C-4 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 05:26 PM
ZR_Don
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06

After reading several posts over the past few months I finally pulled out the radiator for a proper cleaning. My heat problems were described here: http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Foru...ML/008835.html .

As many others have found and posted, these radiators suck up all kinds of debris. Mine was so clogged that you could not see any light thru the fins. There was tons of animal fur, hair, leaves, cigarette butts, and enough small rocks and sand trapped in there to put a beach in my back yard. The job took about 4-5 hours to do (I took my time and cleaned EVERYTHING). The hardest part was those 3 7MM screws on each side down by the frame. Other than that it is a pretty easy job. There is an excellent article in the Tech Tips section by Lars Grimsrud. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/techtips...D=53&TopicID=2

MY RESULTS: the Vette runs 20-25 degrees cooler!!!!!!!! Yippee!!

-So, if your car is getting in the 230 and up range and your temp doesn’t drop down when the fans kick on, you should take a good look at the radiator, especially if you have some miles on that C4. Forget the fan switch or 160 thermostat until you have a clean radiator! There are many posts on this topic, but I just had to let everyone know how pleased I am with the results since this question gets asked every week.
Stay Cool!!!!!

Old 07-27-2001, 05:37 PM
92LT1Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you! I need to do that soon

Old 07-28-2001, 02:40 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

How did you manage the 7mm bolts that are covered by the frame? Did you use an open end wrench?
Old 07-28-2001, 11:08 PM
LouisBarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raysur:
[B
How did you manage the 7mm bolts that are covered by the frame? Did you use an open end wrench?[/B][/color]
Just did mine today so its all still fresh.
Remove the horn brackets and set aside . you may also need to remove the coolant recovery tank on the pass side and the do-hickey on the drivers side with the air intake that blocks the bolts. The bottom two screws are accessable with a socket and 4 to 6 inch extension. the top bolt comes out two handed style with a combination wrench and the thumb of your opposite hand holding the wrench on the screw head.
For the re-install, I went to the pantry and got a ziploc bag and installed them in the bottom of my tool chest. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2001, 11:25 PM
paid4c4
Burning Brakes

Is the fan blockage problem only on Lt1's or do prior years with L98's have the same trouble.
Tnx.
Bill
Old 07-28-2001, 11:49 PM
Bob88Convertible
Burning Brakes

L-98's have the same problem, just did mine also, worthwhile project. My 88's radiator must be a lot easier to get out tho, did the whole job in 2 1/2 hours.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:16 AM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

I do mine every other year, which is about 6K. And I always find all kinds of crap!

Old 07-29-2001, 03:36 AM
OuTLaW
Instructor

Guys, I can't tell you how much $$$ you've saved me in the last year or so. Got the '84 back home 2 weeks ago. Car was still overheating on a long drive. Not that it was running hot, just that the temps would never scrub off on the highway. I saw this post while waiting for my new radiator. Well my 2 day service from Ecklers is now well into the 6th day with no sign of my parts. Wanna guess what package is going to be refused when it shows up? I gotta post that story on another thread though.

So i'm sitting on my duff today and it occurs to me to go try this out. I pop the top shroud off and guess what?? 1/2 of the radiator is stuffed with the same debris stated by 365day. I was shocked to say the least. I yank the radiator out and the l98s seem lots easier than the lt1s for sure. Pull the top shroud off, disconnect all of the lines, pull straight out. That was it. Took me all of 1 1/2 hours to do it.

Findings: The radiator in the car is not stock. Someone along the line decided to save a buck and get a copper radiator with brass tanks. All the fins directly behind the fan were plugged with fur and oil making it nice and sticky. I spray it with zep purple cleaner and let sit. Now I have to remove about 4 handfulls of crap. Looks like a sharks gut in there. Cigarette buts, packing foam, leaves, sticks, sand, and more fur. Guess that cat got its revenge after all huh?? Now its all clean, hose off the radiator and the condenser while I was there and reassemble.

Results: I took off to my buddys house a few blocks away. Get going and the temps are rising fast. Damn... Temp gets to 170 and sits there, starts dropping to 165. Woohoo!!! t-stat was just opening!! Leave his house and 2 black trails down the street so I can find my way back... hehehehe and head down to the highway. This thing NEVER went over 175 for a moment. This is a huge achievement for this car and now I can drive it to work again!

Thanks guys for bringing this up once again. If anyone hasn't seen the junk in there let me know I have pics.. Yummy!!
Old 07-29-2001, 10:39 AM
ZR_Don
Drifting

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Raysur
How did you manage the 7mm bolts that are covered by the frame? Did you use an open end wrench?[/color]
These 6 - 7mm bolts are a pain. The top ones need an open end wrench and some patience. The 2 bottoms can be reached with extensions and some arm flexibility. I did not need to remove the overflow tank, but I did drop that air thing down out of the way on the drivers side). Once these are 7 mm's are out the rest of the job is easy. I love the new peace mind I have while driving in the heat.

-365dayLT1
Old 07-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Thanks,I will do this soon. I can't imagine what is stuck between the fins.

Oh I forgot to mention. Everybody should mount their clips and screws backwards so then the next time it will be easier.
Old 07-29-2001, 07:47 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep....this is on my "to do" list as well. Glad you got good results.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator cleaning results on a hot C-4 LT1

Quick Reply: Radiator cleaning results on a hot C-4 LT1