C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Valve train done, just start it up or....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 08:33 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

New studs, guides, rockers and pushrods are in. Just finished setting lash to 3/4-turn and the valve covers are about to go on.

The plan is to pull the injrctor fuse and the ignition (dist) fuse, reconnect the battery and crank it over a copla times to see if all sounds ok before firing her up.

Does this sound like a viable plan to detect any problems before damage is done or should I just install the injecotr harness, plugs and wires and light the fire??

Old 07-27-2001, 08:49 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to get a special tool that lets you spin up the oil pump with a drill. It will help fill the lifters and such.

I know you do this on a fresh rebuild. Not sure how difficult it is to do with the engine in the car.

Jay
92 LT1
Old 07-27-2001, 09:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I know it's std for when cam, lifters, etc. are out, but thought just cranking without ignition would get the oil upstairs and let me do an audible check too.

BTW, I used Comp Cams light assembly lube on the pushrod ends, rocker indents and valve old ends.

Old 07-27-2001, 09:51 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorta curious about this as Im about a week away from getting the motor back and finishing my rebuild with fresh pushrods etc.
What all should be done again?
Paul

Old 07-27-2001, 10:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I know that with an engine rebuild you pull the dist and spin up the oil pump with a drill and a rod to engage the pump.

Assembly lube isn't necessary on rolling parts, only on sliding parts. Since I installed ProMagnum full roller rockers the only places I need assembly lube was on the new pushrod ends and in the pocket in the rockers. Since I raad that the roller tip actually slides across the valve tip, I put some assembly lube on the old valve tips too. Oops I foregot to put some on the sides of the pushrod guide plates; hope I don't need to remove those valve covers again!

Get notified of new replies

To Valve train done, just start it up or....?

Quick Reply: Valve train done, just start it up or....?