C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone ever race a Viper? Mackey?

Old 07-28-2001, 05:54 PM
BlueC4 LT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you hold up??? Do they destroy mildly modified LT-1's??? Or is it a good race for a few seconds. Im not an idiot, I am aware that a stock viper can go as far as high 11's, but I was just wondering how they are against lets say MackeyRed's old set-up. Just curious

Old 07-28-2001, 06:10 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Vipers are the real deal... I race with quite a few Viper owners, and tomorrow I'll be racing with and against a whole bushel of Vipers.

The guys who have put in the time at the track to figure out how to get them to go run as quick as 12.2 @ 117 completely stock... with a few of the bolt on modifications, one guy runs 12.0 @ 120 mph on street tires.... pretty impressive.

Click into my Video section within my webpage if you want to see a few race me.

cheers,
Beach Bum

Old 07-28-2001, 07:35 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran one last Fall.. I snuck to the track to test the fuel pump and ran a STOCK GT-S. Blue/White Stripes. I got him with a 12.49@115 to his 12.60@114 both street tires. I am by no means stock..but nice to see them closely matched with similar HP claims.

Old 07-28-2001, 07:40 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I made a time pass against a non-stock Viper(he ran an 11.35 ET) early this season. He so desperately wanted to beat me out of the hole that he cut a .40 red (to my .475 red, yea we had the same idea).

He pulled a good 60' time too. You need to run very low 12s with mid 1s 60' time to be in that game.

Denny, with those times, I'm sure they are tastey.

Old 07-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Not me, Viper's are out of my league.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:31 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Ask me in a couple months.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:51 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueC4 LT1:
[B
How did you hold up??? Do they destroy mildly modified LT-1's??? Or is it a good race for a few seconds. I'm not an idiot, I am aware that a stock viper can go as far as high 11's, but I was just wondering how they are against lets say MackeyRed's old set-up. Just curious

[/B][/color]

VIPER. WHAT A VIPER? [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
Sorry, No I never had the opportunity to run one. All the ones I've seen at E-town run real good, and all were faster than my old car. Unfortunately they run time only where I run in real eliminators so were never lined up together.

Old 07-29-2001, 02:15 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the Vipers I have seen on the street are driven by guys who think their torque and horsepower will do it all for them. With a modded l98 or lt1 you can put them to rest pretty easily.

Old 07-29-2001, 07:45 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
Most of the Vipers I have seen on the street are driven by guys who think their torque and horsepower will do it all for them. With a modded l98 or lt1 you can put them to rest pretty easily.[/color]
To do it easily, it's gotta be a heavily modified L98 or LT1. It takes a whole helluva lotta mods to increase trap speeds 20+ MPH to contend with with a 450 horse Viper.

Old 07-29-2001, 08:56 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

I played with one on the highway once with the 95(modded LT1) I stayed stuck to his a$$ like glue up to about 140 till he slowed down. He took off trying to loose me 5 times but couldn't. I got to talk to him and started bs'n saying he was only 1/2 throttle, his car should run 10's bla bla bla. I would have liked to catch him at the track. He would be burning the tires wondering why it ain't moving! But the biggist factor of a Viper is the driver of it!

Old 07-29-2001, 11:49 AM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These "all too familiar" acceleration comparison threads for different car models should be posted in the General Section. At least that was the moderator's suggestion when the C4 Forum was separated. They get real long with everyone boasting how fast their modified Vette is compared to a stock "whatever". It sounds a lot like various Mustang Forums where they can beat ANYTHING in a STRAIGHT LINE with enough bolt-on's. Sure! But from a technical perspective...so what, and why compare an apple to an orange? There is no technical discussion value in someone "Racing a Viper". Sorry for suggesting we keep things focused on technical issues in this section.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:25 PM
BlueC4 LT1
Instructor

Gee Rick, sorry to bother you. I was just wondering how a corvettes "performance" was against the "performance" of a Viper. And the different combinations people had to get better "performance" out of their Vettes, to get them to "Perform" as well as, or better than a Viper. Maybe I am just an idiot, but I thought this was a proper section considering the fact that I was wondering about "Performance"... Next time I will ask your permission before I post anything about "performance", so sorry
Old 07-29-2001, 04:23 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Blue, I see nothing wrong with your post and it was directed at me. I'd guess the moderators don't ether seeing how they didn't move or close the thread.
It is a reasonable comparison but is like apples and whatever
Rick, sorry I this thread offends you but there are many more threads that you may want to make non value comments on. Maybe you should try be a moderator when you grows up.
John

Old 07-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Dr. Doom
Racer

I agree. If you don't like the thread, then don't post. Or better yet, don't even read it. How hard is that? I think we have enough Forum police.

Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to run a viper at the track, but I have played with a couple on the road, but they wouldn't bite. I did line up against a Shelby cobra(replica, of course) that had 427 badges, but he stalled on the second staging light and never could get it restarted. Must've got nervous.

Old 07-30-2001, 11:53 AM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mackey,
I never said or implied that this topic offended me, although I find your "grow up" comment to be personal, offensive and inappropriate. I am entitled to express my opinion about where such subject matter should reside & you are surely entitled to feel & state otherwise.

I feel there is a good reason for 30+ forum sections here. It was agreed long ago that sifting through general discussion to find useful technical topics was not ideal. The separate forum sections were added by overwhelming request. I feel members should make an effort to follow the recommended format, instead of supporting "anything goes" and relying upon moderators to move and/or lock misfiled posts. Searching and archiving of Tech Support Topics is difficult and time-consuming in a combined forum and the non-technical nature of some posts is not apparent until it is read. This adds unnecessary burden to moderator's and administrator's archiving chores and makes it more difficult to find technical topics you might need to assist in vehicle maintenance or modification. Lastly, topics directed toward a single individual in an open forum are not realistic...you can't expect other's to withhold comment simply because your name was attached. Chat and e-mail can provide private discussion without hearing other's opinion, as you are apparently concerned about.

I hope you can accept clarification of my opinion without launching another personal attack.

[This message has been edited by Rick93Z07 (edited 07-30-2001).]
Old 07-30-2001, 12:31 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's not argue about it people, that's what makes these threads suck. It sounds plenty enough like performance to me. Technical/Performance, there is plenty of tech/perf in this thread so please let's not argue.

I'd like to find a Viper at the track. I'd either get killed or it would taste like chicken. It all depends on the driver with a car like that, they just have too much torque.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever race a Viper? Mackey?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone ever race a Viper? Mackey?