C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just bought my first Vette!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 04:54 PM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first Vette about three months ago and I love it. I am having 2 problems though. 1st coming to a stop with the veh in drive it makes a clunk sound. If I put the veh in over drive when coming to a stop or manually down shift the veh does not make the noise. I had a similar problem with my camaro and it was the Torque converter. 2nd I have the bose gold system in the veh and the receiver has a short or something. While driving if I hit a bump someone the speakers come on and then go off. I have bought a new after market stereo but am having a real hard time finding a install kit. Does anyone know of a place I can go to get the correct install kit?

Old 07-29-2001, 05:16 PM
Ramjet
Drifting

Welcome

Old 07-29-2001, 05:22 PM
O'Shark
Le Mans Master

Welcome and congrats. I don't know of any of us that don't have a clunk in the driveline somewhere. It could be U-joints, a worn diff cross shaft or rust on the axle splines. That doesn't mean that your problem can't be serious, but it is common.

I am not familiar with the Gold system but if yours is like mine, you can't just swap in a new stereo as the speakers themselves have integrated amplifiers and the main unit is merely a driver. I often wonder though why the amp circuit can't be bypassed and the speakers used with a new replacement stereo. It could be an option for someone on a budget.

Just my .02
Randy

Old 07-29-2001, 05:23 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about any car stereo shop can supply a kit for you. The problem your going to see is that the bose system has seperate amplifiers at each speaker.

There are kits to adapt new stereos to the bose amplifiers, usually only available from places like ecklers or midamerica or other corvette supply companies. You can remove all teh bose speakers and just use you own speakers to get around that problem.

I totally ripped all bose stuff fdrom my car, enclosures and all and built a custom system from scratch...it was well worth it but took a lot of playing with it to get the sound I wanted.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:28 PM
mikes84vette
Melting Slicks

welcome to the club!!!

don't know about the tranny but my radio will do the same thing. getting ready to pull it out and put in cd player. speakers also!

Old 07-29-2001, 05:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on your new Vette and welcome to the Forum.

My tranny shifts up/down very smoothly, so far so no help here.

You should know that your Bose is in two pieces, the controls are in the dash and the amp is under the carpet in the rear. So you might as well remove both to lose some dead weght when the new system goes in.

Old 07-29-2001, 05:35 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome!!

Old 07-29-2001, 07:41 PM
Corvette86
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Agree...bad u-joints...
Old 07-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Coot
Burning Brakes

Welcome to Corvette Forum!!! Any pics??

coot

Old 07-29-2001, 08:18 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome,
check yer U-joints, motor mounts and suspension bushings.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:17 PM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Although I can't help you with your problem, I CAN welcome you to the forum

Also, I take it by your screen name that you got a Black 91. Very good choice on year AND color

Old 07-29-2001, 11:04 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Welcome Aboard
Old 07-29-2001, 11:42 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

blk91, In reference to your "clunk" problem try this link to an earlier thread on the topic. I think you'll find it addresses your problem.
http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Forum57/HTML/001684.html

Old 07-29-2001, 11:45 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

oh well, I can't get the link to work, but if you do a search of the word "clunk" you'll come up with the topic.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:14 AM
purple jinx
Racer

no matter what happens, someone on the forum will know the answer. lot cheaper than "diagnostic charges"...welcome
Old 07-30-2001, 01:03 AM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I agree, excellent choice on color and year

Old 07-30-2001, 08:57 AM
MY 95
Team Owner

CI 2-3-4-5-6-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

congrats and welcome to the forum

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought my first Vette!!

Old 07-30-2001, 03:52 PM
StephensblackL98
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome - you have, obviously, impeccable taste in year and model.

The Bose problem you speak of is all too common. With mine, three of my speaker amps were gone when I bought mine - and I always thought Bose stood for quality. The most common fix seems to be to lose the Bose, and install an alternative, complete with speakers. I didn't do that; instead, I had the amps in my speakers redone, locally.

The tranny problem is something with which I, so far, am unfamiliar. But, best wishes on it being an inexpensive fix!

Old 07-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought my install kit, harness, and adapter at checker auto (also known as schucks, or kragen) you also need the adapter for the wiring (high level inputs to low level inputs --about $20) only problem is that with that kit you get tons of engine whine....guess i'll have to yank bose and go fresh aftermarket! its not that hard, there is a problem though with wiring the aftermarket radios. and you're not gonna like this. i had to run constant power to the bose amps (for some reason the power antenna lead does not turn on the amps) so i get a whine through the speakers even when the stereo is off (i was just told how stupid this is and could be resolved with a toggle switch...how dumb am i?!?!) that is the main reason i would abandon the bose altogether, unless you plan on leaving it the way it rolled from the factory!
good luck!

Originally Posted by blk91
I just bought my first Vette about three months ago and I love it. I am having 2 problems though. 1st coming to a stop with the veh in drive it makes a clunk sound. If I put the veh in over drive when coming to a stop or manually down shift the veh does not make the noise. I had a similar problem with my camaro and it was the Torque converter. 2nd I have the bose gold system in the veh and the receiver has a short or something. While driving if I hit a bump someone the speakers come on and then go off. I have bought a new after market stereo but am having a real hard time finding a install kit. Does anyone know of a place I can go to get the correct install kit?

[/color]
Old 07-30-2001, 05:05 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum. Check the link to my webpage for a stereo look in my '93. I got all I needed from Crutchfield and it is working okay, but the Scosche adapter is a POS!! Go to a stereo store and they will help you out. It is a known thing these days and many people do it. I don't get any engine whine at all. I think I got a bad adapter, but haven't torn into it to correct the problem, but I do have it in my rear storage area. Not annoying enough just yet to replace now that the weather is warmer here.....soft wires don't rattle as much...don't ask.
The most common problem with putting in an aftermarket head unit is the size issue. Not much room. I made to custom brackets out of aluminum to hold my Sony unit in the dash and had to cut a little bit of dash material to keep the wires from rubbing each other. Also had to run many many feet of wire to the interpretor as my webpage states...Good luck.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Vette!!