C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to pick up 30 to 50 additional ponies?

Old 07-30-2001, 02:01 PM
BrightAquaLT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IŽld like to have about 30 to 50 additional hp on my 94 LT1 in order to play with the others on the Autobahn, like the Posche 911s.

How do I achieve this as cost efficiently as possible?

If that works IŽll need new gears as well. For high speed driving here 3.23 gears would be perfect, 3.31 would be ok. Does anybody know who sells these kind of gears?
Old 07-30-2001, 02:32 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A new cam will take care of most of that hp you are searching for. But remember that other things must be done in conjunction and speed isn't free. If you are running a stock exhaust system then you will need to open it up to accomidate more air flow, heads could use port and polish to get full use of the cam. Nothing drastic or it'll suffer in other areas. If you want to just blow their doors off with in a short spurt of speed then consider a small application of NOS.

Old 07-30-2001, 03:07 PM
ChrisB
Pro

Before you go into the motor I would recommend getting all the bolt-ons out of the way!

A set of hooker longtube headers and a catback, as well as some sort of air intake (something like the slp claw) would put you well into your range.

Old 07-30-2001, 03:15 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB

Before you go into the motor I would recommend getting all the bolt-ons out of the way!

A set of hooker longtube headers and a catback, as well as some sort of air intake (something like the slp claw) would put you well into your range.

[/color]
Headers and intake will certainly help. What are emmisions like in Germany? Would they take kindly to removing the cats? If not you will have an interesting situation trying to get longtubes to work for you. That should be worth 30-40 hp right there, then if you added a cam and some rockers you would be killing the fancy VW's all day. Electric water pump is good for 9hp. Underdrive pulleys? 383, 396, 409? How much money would you like to spend?

Old 07-30-2001, 03:38 PM
BrightAquaLT1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
. What are emmisions like in Germany? Would they take kindly to removing the cats?
[/color]
Well - we have to pass the emission tests every two years, a removal of the cats would not be possible.

Actually I was looking into some of those "bolt-ons". As I read in ths forum, Corsa Exhaust where dynoed with an additional 17hp on several occasions. IŽve got no clue what a K&N, open air box, RAM air system or some tuning with the hypertech would do without getting into the engine.

Also, frankly, IŽve got no idea on how much hp the 4L60E tranny can take anyway.

Old 07-30-2001, 05:29 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The 4L60E can't take too much otherwise they would have made it for the LT4 or possibly the ZR-1. It could handle it if reworked with that intent in mind. Several tuners have done some massaging to this unit to support large amounts of horsepower.

Old 07-30-2001, 05:39 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

True, but I don't think you are gonna exceed the capabilities of the tranny using bolt ons.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:39 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Bright - you can go crazy with bolt on's before you harm the tranny...

but Nate is right... what is your budget?

I assume your goal is to run after 911 turbos? If so... keep spending...

I don't really think that unless you wanna toss a 15,000USD motor into your car, your gonna go fast enough to get them!

as for gearing... unless you have the G92 option, you have 2.59 rears. Which will help top speed. You can upgrade rear gears, but that costs about 1000USD - here! I would not want to guess what it will cost in Europe!

This is what I would do:

1) headers and cat back
2) K&N - super high quality airfilter. one of the best - if not the best - made.
3) get the suspension sorted... The factory setup is ok, don't get me wrong, but there is room for improvment... I would do Polyurathane bushings and a coil-over conversion. These things will do wonders for improved highspeed stability. same goes for brakes. I mentioned in another thread that perhaps you might wanna look into Brembo rotors. I think the GM calipers are ok... the rotors are debatable...
4) computer upgrades... chip, throttlebody, injectors. that kinda stuff.

Basically, optimize what you have. Then, in a few months/year/years you can then go back and have a 383 built that will flat out rock and roll!

hope this helps!

Old 07-30-2001, 09:00 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmission issues aside. An LT4 kit (www.paceparts.com) 3.23 gears and a 2800 rpm converter will get you where you want to be.

Get notified of new replies

To How to pick up 30 to 50 additional ponies?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to pick up 30 to 50 additional ponies?