C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How much HP ported stock TPI intake is good for??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mos90
i have tpis big mouth, asm runners, zz409 cam, ported plenum, 52mm tb, dart pro 1 heads on my 91 and im making about 400 fwhp and 480 fwtq.the zz409 cam is about as radical as i would go with a tpi setup. but i can pull hard to 6000 rpms over the stock cams 5000. i did notice some loss in low end torque. it moved up about 1000 rpm's.
as far as ive heard you cant get the flow #'s out of a stock ported base as you can out of a big mouth base or accell. maybe im making 400 hp because i had the base ported even more to match larger head runners, felpro 1205 intake gasket.
i'm going with a similar setup. same cam, thinking about porting the stock TPI, D 113 heads ported and larger valves, with 24 lbs injectors. i also have the LT1 intake which i will be going with eventually on a 396 setup.

how do you like the ZZ409 cam on the 350? make good power it looks. how do you know thats your exact fwhp and fwtq? any rwhp and rwtq #'s?

thanks!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:05 PM
mos90
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Mic
i'm going with a similar setup. same cam, thinking about porting the stock TPI, D 113 heads ported and larger valves, with 24 lbs injectors. i also have the LT1 intake which i will be going with eventually on a 396 setup.

how do you like the ZZ409 cam on the 350? make good power it looks. how do you know thats your exact fwhp and fwtq? any rwhp and rwtq #'s?

thanks!
the zz409 cam so far seems good. the idle is pretty rough, which i like, but it needs to be around 900 rpms minimum. the ported 113 heads are ok but will not make as much hp as a good aftermarket set of darts or afr. even with a tpi setup i noticed very strong pull to 6k. i havent finished tuning yet, so i havnt had a chance to go to the dyno. but i will soon if the snow holds off. my dyno # with the stock heads and cam were 292 rwhp and 377 rwtq. if hoping to see at least 350 rwhp with a good tune. and 475 rwhp on the spray.

i would recommend going the route on the heads that i did. i bought a set of dart pro1 200cc heads with 64cc chambers with comp cam 987 springs good for .620 lift seat pressure around 135lbs. i paid $1100.00 for head setup. without even being ported they will flow 10cfm more then a set of ported 113's. at .550 lift. at i good local performance machine shop it cost me $125.00 to have the heads angle milled to 53.5cc combustion chambers to give me about 10.8/1 cr, and the intake cut to compensate for the new head height. so thats $1225.00 total. then i sold my stock 113's for $400.00. so i only have what ,$825.00 it to my head setup..how can you go wrong..

i wouldnt bother wasting your time porting you stock tpi, get your self a superram or tpis bigmouth and as&m runners.

good luck with your mods
Old 11-04-2004, 12:20 PM
jutammel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradvette
Unfortunately, since you are "overseas", purchasing parts is going to be major killer expensive - its bad enough for us over here! Try to buy any parts that don't move (such as intake, etc.) as used parts and ask the seller to deflate the price significantly (on paper only) to avoid the ugly choking high import fees....you'll ave some good cash there.
Even so, expect to pay about twice as much as you might otherwise would......which is terribly unfair
Tell me about it. That's the main reason I am determined to use stock parts as far as I can. My -88 corvette cost me around 30k over 2 years ago so thats how the prices are here in Finland But 2 years with nearly stock corvette isn't enough for me anymore. My sights are set to 400hp
Old 11-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

the zz409 cam so far seems good. the idle is pretty rough, which i like, but it needs to be around 900 rpms minimum. the ported 113 heads are ok but will not make as much hp as a good aftermarket set of darts or afr. even with a tpi setup i noticed very strong pull to 6k. i havent finished tuning yet, so i havnt had a chance to go to the dyno. but i will soon if the snow holds off. my dyno # with the stock heads and cam were 292 rwhp and 377 rwtq. if hoping to see at least 350 rwhp with a good tune. and 475 rwhp on the spray.

i would recommend going the route on the heads that i did. i bought a set of dart pro1 200cc heads with 64cc chambers with comp cam 987 springs good for .620 lift seat pressure around 135lbs. i paid $1100.00 for head setup. without even being ported they will flow 10cfm more then a set of ported 113's. at .550 lift. at i good local performance machine shop it cost me $125.00 to have the heads angle milled to 53.5cc combustion chambers to give me about 10.8/1 cr, and the intake cut to compensate for the new head height. so thats $1225.00 total. then i sold my stock 113's for $400.00. so i only have what ,$825.00 it to my head setup..how can you go wrong..

i wouldnt bother wasting your time porting you stock tpi, get your self a superram or tpis bigmouth and as&m runners.

good luck with your mods
Mos i hear ya on the heads. right now i'm just collecting parts and planning ahead for when i do the 396 swap. maybe then i'll upgrade to a better flowing head. but until then i'm getting a used set of D 113's for 200 bucks that i'm gonna rework and put on the stock short block now with the ZZ409 cam, and LT1 intake. also going to run a 100 to 150 wet shot on the car come spring. can't beat this setup for under 2000 bucks total mods in the car. the long block of this setup with the TPI is going in an 82 third gen Z28 when i finish the 396 short block build. for now i'm just gonna get the build started to push the project over to the other car and get the 396 started for the total swap in summer or fall of next year.

i have the LT1 intake and i'm going to direct port it for juice eventually for the 396. i am planning to run a 250 variable shot with nitrous timers on the 396 all forged internals, splayed mains. should be a beast

sounds a bit complicated i know.....lol
Old 11-04-2004, 09:24 PM
mos90
Drifting

not complicated..sound pretty good.....i went with a zex wet kit and it works great. the only thing i dont like is the with the spray nossel being in front of the t/b, the gas dries it out and sometimes sticks, then i have to get the some wd40 and spray it up.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

not complicated..sound pretty good.....i went with a zex wet kit and it works great. the only thing i dont like is the with the spray nossel being in front of the t/b, the gas dries it out and sometimes sticks, then i have to get the some wd40 and spray it up.

i bet you could incorporate the NOS throttle plate into it. i heard the ZEX kit is pretty cool and did some research on it. that or an NX kit is what i'm leaning towars will all the bells and whistles cause i don't wanna break anything......lol
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 AM
gears
Burning Brakes

A friend of mine has an 85 vette with a lingenfelter 383,ported l98 heads asm runners,etc.. anyway,he has run a best of 11.30ish at 120.xx .

Quick Reply: How much HP ported stock TPI intake is good for??