C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driveshafts in our C4's...can they become out of balance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 05:47 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Driveshafts in our C4's...can they become out of balance?

I was wondering....if the main driveshaft can be removed and then replaced and end up being out of balance? My tranny was rebuilt and ever since then when I am hard excellerating I feel sorta a vibration going through a certain RPM band.....once out of that band range it goes away. Again....vibration is felt in or around 2000-3500 then goes away....and its not a horrible vibration, just enough to be noticed.

thanks
jeff
Old 11-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Brimis
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be possible, one way for it to be out of balance is if one of the weights, if it had weights were knocked off the driveshaft during the removal/installation of the driveshaft itself.
I'm sure a more seasoned member can chime in.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

if it was out the vibration would get worst with the rpm
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
VTESPEED
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

driveshafts dont rely on rpm to be worse/better...

It would be speed dependant...

Also often vibrations like that will come in and out at increased speeds...like 55-60, 85-90 etc...where the vibration will be multiplicative...
Old 11-04-2004, 07:22 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=XtremeVettem hard excellerating I feel sorta a vibration going through a certain RPM band.....once out of that band range it goes away. Again....vibration is felt in or around 2000-3500 then goes away....[/QUOTE]

The driveshaft speed is a function of vehicle mph, not rpm.....

Do you get the vibration in only one gear or do you get it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.

If it is at the same motor rpm, but at different speed in different gears then I would say most likely it is NOT the drive shaft.....

So I agree with VTESPEED

Must be something tied to engine speed....flywheel, clutch, ???
Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
vettefast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my 383 put in they had to send out my drive shift to be balanced because it was hitting against my transmission. It was a a one day service for $169.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any drive shaft could become unbalanced. Could be other things like clutch etc, Good Luck on findig it.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Also the drive shaft is marked at the rear yolk to go in one way. they may have not put it back right. A yellow Dot on one rear end yolk & black line on the drive line supposed to be 180 opposite. Helms manual covers this & also how to fix if it is still out of balance with (get this) a couple of hose clamps! I would crap if I saw that kind of back yard fix under my car from a dealer!!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:05 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what is said above - and would add this: Several things can cause a felt vibration (or resonance) at certain RPM points, but the driveshaft is not one of them. Accessory drives, exhaust, etc can all do it (try taking the belt off and running it up by hand while the car is parked - you can probably tell the difference by "feel"). If the problem started after R&R of the transmission I would suspect the Torque converter balance as most likely... You should be able to feel it by running the RPM up with the car sitting still.

As, yes, the center driveshaft has a factory marked "clock" position - at BOTH ends. If it wasn't put back in where is was supposed to be (and locating the front is a pain) there is probably a driveline, speed sensitive, vibration due to That.

Get notified of new replies

To Driveshafts in our C4's...can they become out of balance?

Quick Reply: Driveshafts in our C4's...can they become out of balance?