C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bleeding the Brakes ABS module

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:23 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bleeding the Brakes ABS module

I have a new master cylinder in my hands. I'm going to bench bleed it with the little kit... The next thing is to bleed all four wheels with the furthest one first.

I've heard of a requirement to bleed the ABS modulator first. It's behind the driver seat from the bottom.

Is this really required? I look under the car and there's a tub with an aluminum plate and a bunch of bolts. All the hydraulic lines go in there first.

Can I just bleed the calipers or do I have to take this tub apart to get to the ABS thingy?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My '88 Shop Manual says to bleed the MC first and then each caliper in the sequence of RR, LR, RF, LF. There is no mention of bleeding the ABS.

I have a bad MC and will (hopefully) be picking up the replacement Mon AM so I'll find out how this plan works.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look/search for the,, homemade tool's post for a pressure bleeder
Old 11-07-2004, 06:29 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Found it in the Helms manual. I opened up the tub behind the driver seat - and there it was clear as day.

There is a bleeding fitting right on the side....Piece of cake.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I always thought that screw was for "factory use" only - the modulator valves are open with the engine off and bleeding the calipers is all that is needed - at least that's what the literature says.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:13 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 65Z01
My '88 Shop Manual says to bleed the MC first and then each caliper in the sequence of RR, LR, RF, LF. There is no mention of bleeding the ABS.

I have a bad MC and will (hopefully) be picking up the replacement Mon AM so I'll find out how this plan works.
Hope your brake issue gets resolved soon. Sounds like its been giving you fits
Old 11-07-2004, 09:15 PM
mitchcole
Drifting

Well, here's the scoop: I tried to bleed the ABS unit... Bleeder valve, tubing - the whole nine yards.

With the foot on the brake - nothing flowed. With the foot off the brake, fluid would slowly drool out like a gravity bleed. Tried several times - ended up loosening the bleeder valve by about 4 turns before giving up.

Then I bled the rest of the system. RR, LR, RF, LF. Then one more cycle through the wheels to make sure.

In the end - took the car for a spin (oh yea - there's a new bias spring in the master cylinder too)

What a difference!

ahhhhhh to be able to stop is a nice feeling.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:32 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

mitchcole glad you got her under control, and now I know how to bleed them for sure.

cuisinartvette if they provide the correct MC and if I don't have to bleed the rears (never been off) it should be cake...but is it ever that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding the Brakes ABS module

Quick Reply: Bleeding the Brakes ABS module