C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:55 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Dave Vizard states that modern glass pack mufflers vary considerably in design and performance. The ones with the internal perforations punched outward, away from the gas flow tube, will flow better than the ones that have the perforartions punched into the flow stream. But, indeed you can reverse the latter ones for a 50% flow gain, though with a rise in sound level.

Since the price is relatively low you could just pick up a set of those glass packs and give em a try. Maybe you can ask a Tech at Summit which design they are selling for your Vette. If they have the perforations punched into the gas stream you can experiment with them to see which sound you like.

Remember that with stock pre-cats and stock main cat even straight pipes should not be very loud, certainly not loud enough to draw the unwanted attention of "the fuzz".
Old 11-25-2004, 07:03 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I never did like glass packs... they sounded funky to me.

Exhaust is one of the last areas of tuning that NASCAR teams really went after. They were able to pick up power through subtle tuning of headers and the plumbing between them. Interesting science to say the least.

I laugh when I think that people will actually pick up power by bolting on mufflers. Even lower restriction. It's a trade off. Engineers design these motors with a specific back pressure. So by reducing same, the engine may not be as effecient.

You trade off torque to pick up 5 hp!

What is means is that exhaust is a facet that needs to be applied to a thoroughly well thought out engine development program.

Tricky game we play, eh?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:05 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
I could care less what mufflers you put on your car but I do care about having those who risk their lives for us being called "pigs" on this forum.

Old 11-26-2004, 01:16 PM
jp2002ls1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like bullet mufflers but they are loud. I have long tubes, dual 2.5" exhaust with H-pipe and bullet mufflers and thats it. It sounds real good with my cam above 6000 rpm.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:13 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

http://thebook.no-ip.info/videos/StephensMovie.wmv

Gutted cats and Dynomax Bullets.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:55 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you guys mount the Bullets and what tips did you put on? They sound kool.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:01 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
You trade off torque to pick up 5 hp!
Tricky game we play, eh?

Lose torque and you lose horsepower, all else being equal.
You'd have to pick up more rpm (a lot more rpm) at the same time you lose torque in order to gain hp.
Since, max rpm is not muffler-dependant (generally speaking), you won't be picking up any rpm with a muffler change.
Ergo; If changing mufflers results in less torque, then you will have less hp.
I respectfully submit this for Bogus' C4 Tech Facts column.

Larry

Quick Reply: How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?