C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Left rear tire seems misaligned...a few ?s

Old 11-24-2004, 05:47 PM
redvetteC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left rear tire seems misaligned...a few ?s

The rear tire on the driver's side of my '91 looks way off...even to the naked eye. The bottom of the wheel and tire appear to angle out away from the middle of the car and the top of the wheel appears to tilt inward to the middle of the car. I already checked for play in the wheel thinking the wheel bearing might be going out but its not. Does this sound like a simple alignment problem...all the nuts and bolts seem tight and nothing looks unusual. All four tires were aligned a year and a half ago i believe and it seemed that alignment problems are usually so minor that you cannot see them by eye.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:06 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

take it to a shop to confirm it... there are tie rod links that can be out of adjustment, or simply broken.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by redvetteC4
The rear tire on the driver's side of my '91 looks way off...even to the naked eye. The bottom of the wheel and tire appear to angle out away from the middle of the car and the top of the wheel appears to tilt inward to the middle of the car. I already checked for play in the wheel thinking the wheel bearing might be going out but its not. Does this sound like a simple alignment problem...all the nuts and bolts seem tight and nothing looks unusual. All four tires were aligned a year and a half ago i believe and it seemed that alignment problems are usually so minor that you cannot see them by eye.

Hi

Sounds seriously like it is time for an alignment check. The rear control rods can get out of align just hitting a serious pothole! These rods (from diff to knuckle) are apparently the weak link in the stock rear suspension which is why after market rods are available

seeya

Happened to me last year and before I really noticed, I wore off a set of rear tires!
Old 11-25-2004, 11:25 AM
3puttbob
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My right rear does the same. Putting new poly strut rod bushings in this weekend. I'm going to check closely for a bent one. If that doesn't do it, what's the next step???

Get notified of new replies

To Left rear tire seems misaligned...a few ?s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left rear tire seems misaligned...a few ?s