C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Does EZPass Work W/91 Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:18 AM
MIZR1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does EZPass Work W/91 Windshield

Does anyone here know whether the EZ Pass unit can be read through the 91 ZR-1's windshield? I understand the windshield has some sort of material that blocks radar waives (I think), which is the reason for the radar detector cutout. Am I correct that the EZ Pass unit therefore cannot be read if located at the top of the windshield behind the rear view mirror?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I wouldn't count on it!!!

My E-Z pass worked on it's first trip through a booth but at the exit it didn't. I tried it at a "different" booth where it worked the first time and it failed.The unit was only a few weeks old so I doubt it was an issue with the battery.
I mailed a check for the two tolls! E-Z pass toll violations aren't a very pleasant expeience in Virginia.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:11 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

only if you hold it out the window.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:23 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1
only if you hold it out the window.

I could totally see that - Driving down the toll road, arm way out the window

...so, how did you loose your arm??

- Freak ez-pass accident in my ZR1
Old 01-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR1
I wouldn't count on it!!!

My E-Z pass worked on it's first trip through a booth but at the exit it didn't. Where did they think you went ? Into tollroad purgatory ?
I tried it at a "different" booth where it worked the first time and it failed.The unit was only a few weeks old so I doubt it was an issue with the battery.
I mailed a check for the two tolls! E-Z pass toll violations aren't a very pleasant expeience in Virginia.
Why would they charge you when you have already established yourself on the tollroad ? Did Virginia think you loaned your EZ pass to someone while driving down the tollroad ? Did you mention your solar ray reflective glass interferring with the transponder ? Plenty of vehicles have the same reflective coating as our ZR-1's do... What a ripoff imho...
Old 01-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We don't have ez pass here in Texas, we have a toll tag, witch I think is pretty much the same as ez pass...anyway, I have mine mounted in the little cut out in the windshield. Works fine there.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Hey Ted! How you doing?

Our toll road, The Dulles Greenway is a bit unique. The entry farthest west has no entry booth or exit booth. Going east you pay when you exit at whatever exit. There's a master booth midway and you pay the max for east bound. From there east you again pay your toll based on your exit.
Same thing west bound no entry toll, your charged at the plaza and then again at your exit. When everything is functioning properly the camera is what clips you! I'll bet "WIDEBODY" looked pretty good on the snapshot and the E-Z pass wasn't registered to it yet!

I've been kicking around '90 #334 a bit here of late but I've not got in touch with him yet!
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Get the tag that is supposed to be mounted on top of a front license plate (a different tag than the windshield mount style). Then mount that "tag" under the hood, tie wrap it to the cables near the brake booster. That's what I've done and it works great plus it's stealth. If you really want to see what I've done let me know I can take a pic and post
Old 01-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Z Factor
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the "SunPass" here in Florida, and it will not work inside the ZR-1 unless you put it in the detector cut out. I know this from personal experience.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Factor
We have the "SunPass" here in Florida, and it will not work inside the ZR-1 unless you put it in the detector cut out. I know this from personal experience.

I concur. I've got the pictures from the state to prove it.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:58 PM
MIZR1
Advanced

Hey Rex, I would be interested in how you mounted your license plate unit. I have the same unit, and just got a privacy plate. the unit screws up the plate, so I want to find a different method. I planned to simply hold the plate unit outside the window when I went thru the trap. if you have another idea, please send an idea
Old 01-30-2005, 10:21 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Factor

My experience in PA with EZPass as well. I took several trips on the PA Turnpike with the transponder behind the rear view mirror until I realized I wasn't getting green lights when I went thru the tollbooth. Once I mounted it in the cutout, I was OK. Fortunately I never got a ticket.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by MIZR1
Hey Rex, I would be interested in how you mounted your license plate unit. I have the same unit, and just got a privacy plate. the unit screws up the plate, so I want to find a different method. I planned to simply hold the plate unit outside the window when I went thru the trap. if you have another idea, please send an idea
It's just tie wrapped under the hood. I'll take a pic when I get home from work

Get notified of new replies

To Does EZPass Work W/91 Windshield

Quick Reply: Does EZPass Work W/91 Windshield