C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Hurst shifter install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hurst shifter install.

Ime trying to punch the pin out of the shaft to free the stock shifter using a smaller drive and medium hammer but the pins in there firm(wire C-Clip is out of the way),i dont want to do any damage to the surrounding parts.
Are these pins normally a SOB to get out.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - they are an SOB to get out. You have to be patient.....and whack hard. I used a small screwdriver and a mallet......it eventually came out.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Thanks,ile spray in some freeing agent and leave it over night
Old 04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are scaring me. First Johnny then you having probs installing the Hurst. When you figure it out just come on across the pond and help me with mine Cliff.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

ah I didnt really have any problems its just a bitch doing it alone

The pin will come out some are just harder than others.
just wait until you have to install that c clip back on
Old 04-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by phrogs
ah I didnt really have any problems its just a bitch doing it alone

The pin will come out some are just harder than others.
just wait until you have to install that c clip back on
I left the C clip half on, in the groove up top so it would be a stop for reinstalling the pin.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Tony, its a "Doddle",of the 4 pages of instructions it didnt take long to get 2 pages in,ive removed the Gearstick **** and top rubber from the gearbox in the car,then i moved the spare Gear Box on to my worktop and did the same procedure,ime gonna practise on this box 1st,the C-clip is best removed by turning it upwards so the 2 ends are over the top of the pin where there is a shallow opening then you can carefully prize the ends of the clip open and stretch it out of its seat slide it along into another indent away from the pin,then using a drive smaller than the pin and a medium weight hammer drive the pin upwards out of the hole,this is where i am at the moment but the pin is solid which is no surprise as the grub screw holding the reverse gear clip was also solid(i dont think this had been removed since the factory)it had a lot of crud in where the allen key goes,but once i had cleaned it out and sprayed some lubricant in it soon moved.

I will have it all figured out tomorrow,i will take it apart and put it together a couple of times till it becomes second nature then a techy mate of mine is coming round to video an install to load on my pc for an english vette forum,we will post it on here aswell.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 AM
DMark
Drifting

Originally Posted by LoTu5
I will have it all figured out tomorrow,i will take it apart and put it together a couple of times till it becomes second nature then a techy mate of mine is coming round to video an install to load on my pc for an english vette forum,we will post it on here aswell.

That would be GREAT!

I have a Hurst ready to go in, but was waiting on more info before I torn into the beast. Video will be a big help!

Thanks,

DMark
Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I need to remove my center console and shift boot to reattach the rubber boot around the shifter. I got the shift **** off no problem. There is a bronze looking rod in the center of the shifter shaft...is that what you need to pull out? I talked to that ZF expert who said the best way to get leverage is to use a smal vice grip, take the roof of the car and stand on the sills/seats to get leverage.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Originally Posted by LowFlight
I need to remove my center console and shift boot to reattach the rubber boot around the shifter. I got the shift **** off no problem. There is a bronze looking rod in the center of the shifter shaft...is that what you need to pull out? I talked to that ZF expert who said the best way to get leverage is to use a smal vice grip, take the roof of the car and stand on the sills/seats to get leverage.
I think you might be getting confused with the key retainer in the shifter ****(thats the one you have to pull out)thethe bronze looking shifter rod (reverse mechanism)does not need to be touched as it comes out withh the stock shifter,are you fitting a short shifter?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Right i think ive got you,to get the reverse lock-out ring off so you can slide the console and boot off and on there is a small grub screw located on the side facing rear that reqires an allen key to undo the reverse lock-out ring from the brass rod,then it will just slide up and off.

Try not to take the grub screw fully out,if you drop it it is so small you will have trouble finding it again,good luck.

Last edited by LoTu5; 04-14-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:16 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Ive just taken this photo of the shifter from the spare box that shows the grub screw.

Last edited by LoTu5; 04-14-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ok cool.

The metal T shaped thing under the shift pattern plastic peice was easy to take out in mine. I removed it with a gentle tug with needle nose pliers. It had some marks that looked like it had been hammered on before.

So I remove the grub key and the reverse-lift ring will come off so I can get the boot over it?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:04 PM
phrogs
Race Director

I have got a bunch of pictures of when I did mine you guys want to see them let me know

jp
Old 04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
DMark
Drifting

I have got a bunch of pictures of when I did mine you guys want to see them let me know

jp

Yes!

Would like to see your pictures and get all the advice that I can since my plan is to do the install this weekend.

DMark
Old 04-14-2005, 04:08 PM
phrogs
Race Director

ok give me a little time ill try to get them up tonight
Old 04-14-2005, 05:34 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

ok give me a little time ill try to get them up tonight

I think we should get a cut on all future Hurst S/S sales,ile let you negotiate

Last edited by LoTu5; 04-14-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst shifter install.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Ok lots of pictures!

removing the shifter plate and the leather are easy you can wait to remove it all the way buy doing these steps first and geting the shifter and the reverse lock out off first, or like me I removed the 4 screws from the leather and took out the plastic cover.
But here you see your pathetic stock shifter

use a screw driver to lift the shift patern out of the ****

your best friend here for the retaning pin pliers!!

the reverse lock out lever, see the small set screw I think its a 5mm hex but cant remeber

remove the screw not all the way like Cliff said just enough so its not tight then lift it off the shifter

Here is one of the fun parts the lower boot is glued to the fiberglass remove the 4 nuts and lift it off

Lower boot off now you see that little zip tie??

heres a better shot remove that

Under the car, remove the lower zip tie DO NOT CUT THE TOP ONE LEAVE IT IN PLACE

after you remove the lower zip tie you pull the protective boot back you will see the c-clip and the small pin holding the lever to the input shaft of the trany rotate the c-clip so the open end is up put a screw driver in and pull that bitch out then if your unlucky youll have to get a punch and hammer and get the pin out

Last edited by phrogs; 04-14-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 PM
phrogs
Race Director

These pictures are for instructional purposes only your housing will not be removed from the car

now if you have not done so remove the 4 screws holding the shifter retaining plate

once you have the plate off and out of the rubber boot the shifter will pull out of the metal housing it will take a but of wigling and help but it will come out, now this is where your retainers and shims are going to want to fall all over the place take them out and off the shifter repectively so you dont lose them

Ok the shifter is out looks kinda empty doesnt it?
This is what you are going to see when you remove the shifter

See the arrow dont lose the shims even though you have extras I recoment yu reinstall the factory shims where they were then use the extras and stick as many in as you can when you reinstall
ok one you get this far disasymbly and reasymbly are as per the instructions dont forget the large open area of the shifter mount sits in the front LH side of the car when installed this is important when you install the hurst shifter into the housing.

Heres your shifter ready to be torn apart

Removing the pin holding the universal joint to the shifter

This is what you will be removing from your old shift lever

this is everything you get with the hurst kit, just follow the directions and its easy, one sugestion remove the powder coating at the points around the needle bearings where the shifter will be in contact with the metal housing this will make installing the retaining pin and clips SO MUCH EASIER! Dont forget to go crazy with the grease put it everywhere you had grease before I also cleaned mine up and regreased it with the new clean stuff why put dirty parts back in??

Last edited by phrogs; 04-15-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Hurst is in shims are installed and retaining cover is secured

when reinstalling this zip tie put the two together first then place them on the boot and tighten the one end thats left.

ah all done looks great you can use your stock shift **** if you want but I wanted something different even if it does say hurst on the side of it.
Ok I didnt get any pictures of the reinstall but its pretty straight fwd just do it in reverse

And you all owe me a few beers now for posting all that!

Last edited by phrogs; 04-15-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter install.