C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

I hate e-bay!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I hate e-bay!!!!!

I just received a Hard-Top from a seller on e-bay tonight that is the right color and is in great condition; headliner & weatherstripping. (My Z only had the glass top when I got it). I told the seller to package it carefully and specifically asked that it be wrapped with the large-cell bubble wrap. Upon opening the box I found the item wrapped in two garbage bags and just foam peanuts all around. Initially, I was impressed with the quality with only light scratches that could be easily polished out. Upon further inspection, I found the right-rear corner to be broken-off and the fiberglass delaminating from impact and the paint cracked for about two inches up the side. It is obvious that during shipment, the box was placed on-end and the top slid across the box and got hit. I tried to call the seller and his telephone has been disconnected. Not sure if I will see my $551.00 again

I hate e-bay because you can never see the item you are purchasing and have a hard time taking it back or getting a refund. This is the third time I have been sold JUNK on e-bay for a total loss of over $3,276

Just venting

Last edited by BlackRocket; 05-12-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:18 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That really sucks - sorry to hear it.

Did you get insurance I hope?

I would not buy a fragile item like that from Ebay.
That is why many members here won't sell a top to someone out of state. Too much risk in the Shipping and Handling.

I hope you get it all squared away
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm sure your feedback will be good!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought a $4000 Klein road bike last year that ended up with a nice ding in the frame during shipping even though his bike shop did a pretty good job of packaging the bike. Fortunately the seller was a good guy and sent me a check for $400 to cover the cost of refinishing the frame. I took it with a grain of salt because the bike was almost new and I won the auction with a $2k bid.

Last edited by RatRacer; 05-12-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:51 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

With an E-bay feedback of over 850 I feel I should chime in here. If you paid for the item with pay-pal, all you have to do is file a complaint through pay-pal/E-bay and the buyer will have to either prove the item wasn't damaged prior to shipping or take the item back on return.

He SHOULD refund your $$$ and file a damage report with his shipper, that way you aren't out the $$$ and neither is he. BUT he has to file the report. In the meantime you HAVE 30 days to file yours... so get on it.

Pay-pal is a strong tool in that they will credit your account and use the sellers credit card tied to HIS account to recover the funds.

good luck!

BTW, NEVER ship anything international that is paid by pay-pal. There is no way to insure the item or get delivery confirmation with most shippers and the buyer can say he never got the item, file a pay-pal dispute, and keep the goods/ Lost a nice set of Chris King single speed bike hubs ( at $550 new) to that one.

-=MIke
Old 05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Well it doesnt matter what you tell someone on backaging what they "think" will be fine doesnt ever come out to what you asked them to do.

I just sold the top from the red ZR1 I parted out I did a job packaging it you wouldnt believe took me all of 20 minutes to pack it right, the guy even sent me a extra $10 because of the nice packaging job.

I charge people for packaging thats a part of it you make sure it wont get damaged in shippment. but on a personel note this is one thing I had get damaged

I had a guy send me a 18lbs 1/8th scale ferrari model that was boxed half full of penuts needless to say that it was damaged.

Didnt know about the whole paypal thingy! I need to look into that.

Last edited by phrogs; 05-16-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
With an E-bay feedback of over 850 I feel I should chime in here. If you paid for the item with pay-pal, all you have to do is file a complaint through pay-pal/E-bay and the buyer will have to either prove the item wasn't damaged prior to shipping or take the item back on return.

He SHOULD refund your $$$ and file a damage report with his shipper, that way you aren't out the $$$ and neither is he. BUT he has to file the report. In the meantime you HAVE 30 days to file yours... so get on it.

Pay-pal is a strong tool in that they will credit your account and use the sellers credit card tied to HIS account to recover the funds.

good luck!

BTW, NEVER ship anything international that is paid by pay-pal. There is no way to insure the item or get delivery confirmation with most shippers and the buyer can say he never got the item, file a pay-pal dispute, and keep the goods/ Lost a nice set of Chris King single speed bike hubs ( at $550 new) to that one.

-=MIke
I think that's great advice, Mike.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Probably half of all targa tops shipped from eBay sales get damaged....

I have sold a few and always make a wooden crate to secure them, then staple cardboard over the crate...that's the only certain way to not get it damaged...unless you have perfect fitting hard styrofoam or greater than 6" of bubble wrap...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

-=MIke
I was once thinking about signing up for Pay-Pal but I read about stories where they have too much control over your credit card account and can charge you even when you're not at fault. So I'll stay away from them.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

good luck!

-=MIke
Hey Mike,
whats your advice on reciving a item from german that was not as described in the auction and also was broken in shippment?

ive already started everything on ebay to make this work so what do you think

IM or email me if you want just looking for a second opinion.

johnny

Get notified of new replies

To I hate e-bay!!!!!

Quick Reply: I hate e-bay!!!!!