C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What type of EPROM/Memcal is used on the ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Trizney
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What type of EPROM/Memcal is used on the ZR1?

I am trying to find a selectable prom box for the ZR1. I saw the prompaq, but doing some research, it is very outdated at this point.

I found Moates.com, and they have some pretty sweet stuff for selectable proms.

Anyone have any experience with them?

The Syclone/Typhoons have what is called the Ultimate chip, has 10 programs with a display in a 2 1/16 gauge pod with a knock LED. This would be the ideal setup, but nothing like that is available for anything other then the Sy/Tys.

Heres a pic

Trey
Old 02-07-2006, 12:29 PM
nowa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the EPROM itself is a 27C256. The *.bin file is 32kByte in size. The EPROM is soldered at the carrierboard. I removed the EPROM from the socket and soldered a Chipcarrier in. The carrier holds the chip. Its easy to replace now. I think it would be possible to use a bigger EPROM (27C1024) to hold 4 different bins by switchung the 2 MSBs. I dont think that you can switch while engine running ( cause program code runs from chip also ).

See C4 Scan & tune for the basics.

just my thoughts

norbert
Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you are really committed to a DIY mode I would recommend geting a FJO wideband setup with the datalog capabilities. There are several people who will burn a good map based on this log, one is Cory Henderson in New Brunfels or Marc Haibeck. Both of these guys have the expertese and experince to get it right quickly and in the end it will be a whole lot cheaper, Cory has just installed a dyno and is in TX so he might be the best choice. There are also a couple of good people who do some stuff as a hobbyiest but unless they volunteer in response to this post I would assume they have a normal day job that precludes doing it at this time.

However if you are set on doing it yourself Moats products for the hardware and Tunerpro or Tunercat for software is a good place to start. In eather case a wideband is a must. There is very little interchange of tuning information among those who burn ZR1 stuff, the best place to start is the 3rd gen board and the c4 tuning section on this forum to get a sense of what is involved but remember this is not your fathers Buick, there are some gotchas to learn that are applicable to the ZR1 that can ruin a good day. Oh yes there is a lot of EFI side discussion at the ZR1 event at the NCM.

Tyler
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM
tpepmeie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we are only talking about the hardware you're looking for, Craig Moates' stuff is top notch. I've been running his GP3 switcher for several years now.

16 bins at the twist of a dial, and no worries switching while the car is running (provided all of the calibrations are within reason..... wouldn't want to switch from a 12:1 to a 18:1 fuel map!!!)

As for general tuning guidance, Tyler is dead on.

Todd
Old 02-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Trizney
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpepmeie
If we are only talking about the hardware you're looking for, Craig Moates' stuff is top notch. I've been running his GP3 switcher for several years now.

16 bins at the twist of a dial, and no worries switching while the car is running (provided all of the calibrations are within reason..... wouldn't want to switch from a 12:1 to a 18:1 fuel map!!!)

As for general tuning guidance, Tyler is dead on.

Todd
Corey Henderson already has my car and will be tuning it. I have a 150 shot on it, and what to be able to switch between programs for just motor, and nitrous.

Todd, I talked with Craig, and he recommended the GP3 plus the EX module remote like the one you have. How tough was it installing this? Did you have to de-solder anything like Norbort had to do? How did you run the remote into the cab?

Get notified of new replies

To What type of EPROM/Memcal is used on the ZR1?

Quick Reply: What type of EPROM/Memcal is used on the ZR1?