C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Clutch Master cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 05:38 PM
ZR1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master cylinder replacement

The wife's car kept loosing clutch fluid and so naturally I replaced the clutch slave. That didn't stop the fluid from leaking out. I replaced it again because slave cylinders are notorious for being pre-broke from the factory. Still no joy. Anyway, it came down to replacing the master.

When replacing the master you first have to remove the plunger from the clutch actuator under the dash. The good news here is that it is only one clip that holds it to the clutch pedal! I was sweating bullets thinking I was going to have to remove zillions of tiny little bits under there.

OK, that being done, here is the hard part. Now mind you, I skipped this step but it is very important everyone do it. READ THE MANUAL FIRST!

Seriously! It really helps. It would have saved me an hour at least. Instead of reading the manual that told me to remove the battery first, I contorted, I used every tool in the book, I fritzed around until I got that lower bolt off the master that holds it onto the firewall. Then, by chance, I glanced at the manual. DUH! "REMOVE THE BATTERY" After I did that it was a piece of cake.

Just in case you ever have to do this try it this way. Remove the battery. Move the ECM away from the brake booster and remove the ECM holder. Remove the clutch clip. Crack the compression fitting on the master. Remove the bolts holding it to the firewall. Remove compression fitting completely and slide it out. When Installing, position the master, finger tighten the compression fitting, attach firewall bolts, tighten the compression fitting, replace ECM and battery, attach the plunger to actuator and clip. Replace kick panel. That's it!
Old 08-09-2001, 09:03 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Clutch Master cylinder replacement (ZR1)

And as most know....
Don't spill any brake fluid when filling up that clutch cylinder. At least don't let brake fluid touch your painted stuff. The fluid will eat up that paint.
Ed

Quick Reply: Clutch Master cylinder replacement