C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 VS LT4 engine question

Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
slarson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slarson
I love all corvettes, the GS is my favorite, and it comes 28th on the list of the 50 fastest American cars produced prior to 2000.
The 90 ZR-1 comes in 3rd; the fasted LT4 was in the 1997 SLP/LT4 SS Camaro (100 produced)

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/s.../50fastest.htm
Look at the list, they are 1/4 mile times
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1995 ZR-1 LT5
3,500 lbs.
405 hp

1996 GS LT4
? lbs.
? hp

Instead of 1/4 mile times and top end speed of unrelated cars the above info IS the difference. Nothing more. Does anyone have the info on the 1996 GS?

If the GS was 100 lbs lighter and had ~ 60 less hp then the ZR-1 should be a little quicker and a little faster. But guys, 60 hp is only 60 hp. It's hardly enough to seperate the cars by 1/2 second even if they weighed the same.
Drivers race in my opinion.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm a LT4 guy, and have the utmost respect for the ZR1. They seem to consistently dyno 30-40 hp more than LT4s (ringers aside). I think with all things being equal, the Z will win by .3-.5 seconds.
The most important thing in the equasion by far is the driver. A 1.9 vs. a 2.2 60 ft time will equate into nearly .5 sec at the end of the track. Powershifting will make a difference as well. All Z cars are stick as well, so comparing them to auto LT1s (especially with mojo behind the wheel) in a 1/4 mile race really doesn't show to the Z cars attributes.
The top speed "tests" that are in the magazines are all over the map for both cars, so it is easy to prove either side of the arguement using magazine data as "proof."
Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf
Oh yeah, everybody remember we all still have Chevy corvettes .
Guess again. Find me more than two places where it says Chevrolet on our cars(not including the bowties on the emblems)
I'm sure there are more, but I know of one(maybe two since I forgot if what I'm thinking of is in the same place) place that says Chevrolet on my car(and I don't mean on the registration or title either).

Yes, Chevrolet Dealers sold the cars and parts, but if you took a person who was uneducated in the car world, and asked him who made my '95 coupe, do you think he would answer Chevrolet?

My car was manufactured by General Motors and yes I know GM owns Chevrolet.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

It's not just top speed that counts, but the speed in which you get there
Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
LeoLily
Pro

Location: The Peoples Republic of Boulder 30 sq. miles surrounded by reality

Default Picky, picky, picky!

[/QUOTE]My car was manufactured by General Motors and yes I know GM owns Chevrolet.[/QUOTE]

I BELIEVE the point is that we are all driving Corvettes (no matter WHO markets them). The all-abiding love for our cars should be the most important part of this discussion.

Maybe some of us (yes, I said US) need to be a little more mature in our discussions and rely on proven facts that were determined in the exact same manner. As an accountant, I know that numbers can be manipulated to mean anything; the only TRUE comparisons are ones made by the identical measuring methods.

Engines can be modified but, it appears to me that no matter which engine you have, the drivers can make all the difference in the world.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 4cefed
1995 ZR-1 LT5
3,500 lbs.
405 hp

1996 GS LT4
3250 lbs. (varies according to options)
330 hp
According to the best information available.

I would LOVE to have a yellow '95 ZR-1 parked beside the LT4. Maybe when I cash in my retirement fund...?

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 11-01-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I saw a lot of people here give props to the LT4 and state facts about its' performance in the 1/4 against the ZR1...which basically boiled down to it's a close race. I'd say that's giving the LT4 credit for its' performance by the ZR1 owners. So where's your beef with this thread? I saw nobody put the LT4 down, all ZR1 owners know our cars are pigs and will never get a holeshot on an LT4 or an LT1 for that matter.

The ZR1 is not a 1/4 miler so somebody posted it's top end as its' strong suit. You posted inaccurate info regarding top speed of the LT1 and LT4 in an effort to discredit the ZR1 by making its' advantage seem much less than it is. You didn't research your "facts" and I knew better...it only took me a few minutes to come up with the correct info. I don't see where anybody treated you or "regular C4" owners bad. It might interest you to know I also own a '77 coupe and a '99 coupe and had a '71 coupe for 10 years...I've had a passion for ALL Corvettes for 35 years now. I personally take offense to your name calling, there is no arrogance in this thread by ZR1 owners. Ok, maybe a few smart azzes, but that's the norm for the ZR1 section...you have to have thick skin to hang out here.

Your exclamation marks, name calling above (look at your post again...arrogant, ignorant, unbelievable), and now this post are not the mark of calmness. The BS flag was thrown on your 1st post and people tend to "pile on" afterwards but nobody directed anything at you personally or bashed you/treated you bad much less spread any hate. I've been had like that before (didn't do my research either) but much worse (actual personal attacks). I learned to do as much research as possible to minimize mistakes but when I make a mistake, be a man and apologize for the error and thank the person for the correct info. Not only did you not do that, you tried to maintain your position in your very next post.

From my perspective, you were wrong and now you're trying to play the "arrogant ZR1 owners" card in an attempt to get out of it. To borrow a line from Jack, it would seem "you can't handle the truth!"
Or you came into this thread with the intentions of creating hate which would be a sad, sad thing.

Incorrect info?

This was not the actual article I was referring to. There was another one done by MT a year later that resulted in a 170mph top speed from a lowly LT1.

It seems that my info was only incorrect because some of the people said so.

You Are right, I should have done my research before instead of believing someone else.

I rest my case.

Last edited by zelement; 11-01-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
1995 ZR-1 LT5
3,500 lbs.
405 hp

1996 GS LT4
3250 lbs. (varies according to options)
330 hp

I would LOVE to have a yellow '95 ZR-1 parked beside the LT4. Maybe when I cash in my retirement fund...?

Larry
code5coupe

From 4cefed:
From the above information it is very close between the two cars.
75 HP difference and at least 250lbs. From my calculations that's less than a half a second difference. Drivers race for sure.
I love having an LT5 but gotta give cudo's to those super rare Grand Sports.
Over and out.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO - 1/4 mile probably could go either way. Top speed, I'd give to the ZR1 by 5-10 mph. The gaps (if any) will be somewhat smaller w/ the 375hp ZR1s.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

I believe the L-48 beats them all.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Guess again. Find me more than two places where it says Chevrolet on our cars(not including the bowties on the emblems)
I'm sure there are more, but I know of one(maybe two since I forgot if what I'm thinking of is in the same place) place that says Chevrolet on my car(and I don't mean on the registration or title either).

Yes, Chevrolet Dealers sold the cars and parts, but if you took a person who was uneducated in the car world, and asked him who made my '95 coupe, do you think he would answer Chevrolet?

My car was manufactured by General Motors and yes I know GM owns Chevrolet.
Ummmmm.. What are you trying to say? That chevy doesn't make the corvette or that you wished they didn't make the corvette?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rocco16

Larry
code5coupe
And i would love to have an LT4 CE vert parked next to the Z.....as the former owner of a slightly modded `94 LT1 coupe, I can tell you there is no comparison between the LT1 and the LT5....completely different animals. The low end grunt of the LT1 is intoxicating, the pull to redline of the LT5 is intoxicating and addicting. Never piloted an LT4, but I'm certain I'd enjoy that as well.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf
Ummmmm.. What are you trying to say? That chevy doesn't make the corvette or that you wished they didn't make the corvette?
What I'm trying to say is, there was a point in history where the Corvette was going to be a standalone car(if you can believe any rumors). The word Chevrolet doesn't appear anywhere on the car except for a few places.

Even though I like vettes,Camaro's,Monte's,Chevelles and Chevy Trucks, I've never really been a fan of Chevrolet. Partly because of the local dealer network.

1997, they brought back the Chevrolet name and that's also when this stupid "C" crap started.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My car was manufactured by General Motors and yes I know GM owns Chevrolet.[/QUOTE]

I BELIEVE the point is that we are all driving Corvettes (no matter WHO markets them). The all-abiding love for our cars should be the most important part of this discussion.

Maybe some of us (yes, I said US) need to be a little more mature in our discussions and rely on proven facts that were determined in the exact same manner. As an accountant, I know that numbers can be manipulated to mean anything; the only TRUE comparisons are ones made by the identical measuring methods.

Engines can be modified but, it appears to me that no matter which engine you have, the drivers can make all the difference in the world.[/QUOTE]yes, I'm being picky, but I'm allowed.

This thread started out as a 1/4 question and turned into an all out battle.

We all know that the Corvette by design is not a drag racing machine, but it does it so well, and acceleration whether from a stand still or a roll is still the most important factor.

It just so happens that the C4 peaked as far as drag racing is concerned. The C5's do a pretty good job, but most of the quick ones are C4's.

The C6 is less so, the rear axle is too weak to take a hard launch.

How much more does a Z weigh compared to a normal coupe?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM
LeoLily
Pro

Location: The Peoples Republic of Boulder 30 sq. miles surrounded by reality

Point taken - I'm done disputin'

The info I found shows the '90 coupe curb weight at 3288 and the ZR-1 at 3527 - but these numbers could be wrong...

Last edited by LeoLily; 11-01-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Let's go to the video tape.

Since the original poster is from Jersey, I have to assume that the two people racing are also from Jersey or at least close enough. The following videos are at Raceway Park,Englishtown,NJ.

The first video is me in my stock LT1 six speed vs my buddy in his supercharged 99 six speed.
Now this is heads up, he slept at the wheel bigtime, but he did a good job catching up.
This would be a good comparison of the Z vs the LT4 since everyone agrees that the Z has enormous top end charge, more so than the LT4.

So here goes, pay attention to the ET's and MPH. Also the poor launch of the C5 didn't help either.
He was quicker and faster, but I still got the win light because I crossed the line first.
Now assume we leave the line at the same exact time, based on this video, he would have crossed one car length ahead of me.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...percharger.wmv

In this video, it's me again(same day) vs a 2000 six speed, basically stock.

I got beat in this one, but it shows that a good launch is key.
The LS1 compared to the LT1 would be about the same as the LT5 vs the LT4, so I think it's a good example that the LT5 would still win it.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...ojovsmoose.wmv

Though this is not a Y body, this LS1 Formula still packs more HP than my LT1, but yet I was able to beat her by nearly 2 tenths.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrm...jovsmiriah.wmv

This one is a bracket race that I lost. I had a better reaction time, but due to my poor launch, I wasn't able to catch the GN.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/mrmojo2//bracket1.wmv

So what it boils down to is that the race between the Z and the LT4 will come down to the driver and his ability to get a good launch and hit his shifts perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To LT5 VS LT4 engine question

Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I got to drive Rob's ZR1 at Bowling Green earlier this year and I can tell you that with those 4.10 gears, the LT4 won't stand a chance. But there are plenty of guys with LT4's who have also installed 4.10 gears and that does make a difference for drag racing.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown67427
It's not just top speed that counts, but the speed in which you get there
And the cost. The Corvette's best feature is world class performance at an affordable price that no other manufacturer has ever approached. When you figure the HP/$$ ratio the small block cannot be beat but not so for the ZR-1 option which added over $32,000 to the cost of the car. Did any ZR-1's actually sell for the $65,000 sticker? I seem to remember twenty thousand extra bones over was the norm back in the day. Speculators lined up to pay ADP to get one for storing.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
And the cost. The Corvette's best feature is world class performance at an affordable price that no other manufacturer has ever approached. When you figure the HP/$$ ratio the small block cannot be beat but not so for the ZR-1 option which added over $32,000 to the cost of the car. Did any ZR-1's actually sell for the $65,000 sticker? I seem to remember twenty thousand extra bones over was the norm back in the day. Speculators lined up to pay ADP to get one for storing.
Fastest production car in the WORLD in 1990

Well worth the $65,000 in 90.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT5 VS LT4 engine question