C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Headers on Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Headers on Craigslist

Guys:
Set of Lt5 headers on Craigslist, $750

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/273580141.html

Not mine, not the seller, don't know the seller, but is local to me and I can check them out.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I may be interested...Can I block off the EGR? Wonder how hard it would be to add smog tubes?

How far is the guy away from L.A.?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I may be interested...Can I block off the EGR? Wonder how hard it would be to add smog tubes?

How far is the guy away from L.A.?
If you know a good welder, putting the air tubes would not be that much of a challenge.
The big problem is that even with the air tubes they still won't have CARB certification. You'd have to go to a referee for your next smog.

They're in Shingle Springs approximately 35 miles east of Sacramento. That's roughly 8 hours from LA.
Shipping shouldn't be that expensive, after all they don't weigh that much.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Hmm, I have some stock manifolds wioh the rails on them..Maybe I could cut these off and reuse them? .I could have them coated black I guess. Dont see how the ref could refuse me if I had tubes and cats...Left the guy a message. If you wind up checking them, Ill pay ya for your time. Keep you posted depending on his response.

I have to smog it at summers end, so Ill wait til after that to install them.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Hmm, I have some stock manifolds wioh the rails on them..Maybe I could cut these off and reuse them? .I could have them coated black I guess. Dont see how the ref could refuse me if I had tubes and cats...Left the guy a message. If you wind up checking them, Ill pay ya for your time. Keep you posted depending on his response.

I have to smog it at summers end, so Ill wait til after that to install them.
You could cut up your stock manifolds, but I'm not so sure that's such a great idea. After all, there's a finite number of those manifolds, it would almost be a sin to cut them up.
I'd be willing to bet that the injector tubes are standard GM, so any injectors tubes from any GM could probably be made to work.

Having just had my '90 ZR1 smogged two days ago I can tell you without a doubt that they look for headers. I asked the smog guy (who owns a '91 ZR1) how thoroughly they check and he said that they absolutely have to make sure. He said that headers HAVE to have the CARB Approved ID plate.
Period.
Since the '90-91's cats are part of the manifold and No Longer Available from GM, and since it's technically illegal to buy a used catalytic converter, you can get a referee to pass them as long as all the smog equipment works. That still does not make it easy or cheap. Be prepared to spend some time getting the SMOG ***** to agree with you.

I'll be seeing the guy on Thursday, I'll have him bring the headers if he still has them. I'm buying some other stuff from him, so I'll see what else he's got.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

Last edited by Crabs; 02-06-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like Watsons, check for rust around the collectors and wled points on the flanges.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabs
since it's technically illegal to buy a used catalytic converter, TomC'90ZR1 #792
Is that your state law only or federal law?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Is that your state law only or federal law?
As far as I know, it's illegal for a business to sell a used catalytic converter in any state in the country.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

If I get em Ill just get some 3" magnaflow cats, they flow well and are cheap.

Anyone know where I can get a nice (hopefully new/near new) set of smog tubes so I dont cut my manifolds up?

Get notified of new replies

To Headers on Craigslist

Quick Reply: Headers on Craigslist