C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Spare parts list for a 93-Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare parts list for a 93-Z

What spare parts should I try to accumulate for my car? I have a starter, coils, plug wires, ignition module, map sensor, a few int and exh valves, and a power steering pump.

How long does the dual mass flywheel usually last?

I'd like to buy a spare 16163993 ECM.

What else should I look for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ckulchar
What spare parts should I try to accumulate for my car? I have a starter, coils, plug wires, ignition module, map sensor, a few int and exh valves, and a power steering pump.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good start, you must of found the spare ignition module I was looking for The water pumps are getting low stock from delco, MarcH can rebuild old ones. Spare would be good if you don't want down time on finding one.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Hose Kit

Originally Posted by ckulchar

Thanks in advance.
Get a hose kit. I wish I had bought more of them when they were basically free. I hear they are like gold. A spare thermostate housing would be good also.

Spare trans?

Flywheel last pretty good - I have a spare OEM just in case along with a trans, alternator, water pump, hose kit, fuel pump setup, etc.

D.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Get a hose kit. I wish I had bought more of them when they were basically free. I hear they are like gold. A spare thermostate housing would be good also.

Spare trans?

Flywheel last pretty good - I have a spare OEM just in case along with a trans, alternator, water pump, hose kit, fuel pump setup, etc.

D.
Some of the above is overkill, but not unjustified.

MAP sensors are not ZR-1 specific. I don't think they are even Corvette specific.

Coil packs can be purchased aftermarket without much problem. If you're trying to stay stock, I guess you can try and find originals. You'll likely never be counted off for them in NCRS scoring since you can't see them from the top and they are not going to make you pull the plenum.

Fuel pumps can be had from late model Suburbans (which makes me think that they can come from most 1/2 ton pick ups). This has been reported either here or on the Registry; I can not validate it.

A number of the PCV system pieces can be difficult to find if you're looking for stock stuff. The main pieces that wear out can be had via silicone replacements from White Racing. There are 2 PCV valves on this car. One of them is easy to get, the other a little more difficult. Again, both are available via White Racing as a last resort. I was able to replace mine 2 months ago through the local GM dealer, though it took a week for one PCV valve to arrive.

A spare transmission is a bit overkill. While there are some differences between the ZR-1 ZF S6-40 tranny and the ones that came on the later MY C4's, rebuild kits, to my knowledge, are interchangable. I would say that most poeple go through ZFDoc.

A spare waterpump is a fantastic idea. Get the gasket while you're at it. A spare starter is not a poor move either.

I can not comment on the needs for a spare ECM or ignition module. I don't know how often these go bad on most of our cars. It certainly isn't unheard of, but isn't overwhelming common judging by topics on this forum. I haven't had any ECM-specific problems.

There is a list of NLA ZR-1 specific parts at the Registry.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
I have a spare OEM just in case along with a trans, alternator, water pump, hose kit, fuel pump setup, etc.

D.
Would you like to sell the ALTERNATOR?

Desperately need one NOW.

Thanks
Nick
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67RivGS
Would you like to sell the ALTERNATOR?

Desperately need one NOW.

Thanks
Nick
Can't you just rebuild it?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by bldavis11
Can't you just rebuild it?
The casing is cracked, so i figure it would be better to get a new one
Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 67RivGS
The casing is cracked, so i figure it would be better to get a new one
WOW! The casing is cracked! You know when we say you can beat on these engines, we don't mean that literally.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper
WOW! The casing is cracked! You know when we say you can beat on these engines, we don't mean that literally.
Yup we beat them real hard out here in Africa!!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant believe you are unable to get a alternator for the ZR-1.

Will no one ship to south africa?

I have a spare one that I can sell you let me know
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Jagdpanzer
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs

phrogs,
What's story on that avitar you're sporting these days?
Last time I saw a 46 looking like that was off the coast of Quang Tri back in 72. Got tagged by a a NVA shoulder fired SAM while trying to resupply some pinned down South Vietnamese Marines.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
67RivGS
Racer

Originally Posted by phrogs

Hi Phrogs, I have emailed a couple of suppliers that advertised 200Amp alternators on eBay for $199 to see if they will ship INSURED air mail to me. Also on eBay the OEM 124AMP rated ones seem to trade for around $110.

It seems my problem is not finding one but getting it shipped Insured mail. Shipping via normal USPS is not a problem for most of the suppliers, but for some strange reason they either are not aware that goods can be shipped insured via USPS or are reluctant to use the service, and shipping goods to South Africa that are not insured is suicide, our local post office staff seem to think that they have first choice of all goods shipped into the country, and you only receive it if they don't want it.

The only other alternative is to use a courier service like FedEx or DHL which of course is expensive.

What Amp output is yours?
Is it new or remanufactured?
and how much would you want for it?

This is the USPS link for insured rates
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ps_032.htm#ep1642635

BTW, can anyone voice an opinion on using a 200 Amp output alternator on the ZR1 as opposed to using the OEM rated 124 Amp?
Can it do any damaged, or am I correct in my assumption that bigger is better?

Get notified of new replies

To Spare parts list for a 93-Z

Quick Reply: Spare parts list for a 93-Z