C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Replacing an O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 12:58 PM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Replacing an O2 Sensor

Happy Thanksgiving Gentlemen,

A mechanic friend plugged his scanner into my 1990 ZR1 and found an old stored 55 code and suggested I may want to replace the O2 sensors. Have had idle issues since buying the car last year but they seemed to have gotten much better since going over vacuum hoses and tightening PCV valves, checking TPS at .54 volts and resetting IAC but still a little wonky at times but not enough for me to dig deeper at the moment.

I did purchase a couple of O2 sensors and went out to start changing the passenger side this morning, sensor broke free no problem but in looking at the wiring it doesn't seam feasible to get to the connector. It appears to be lodged between the frame and motor, I pulled the wheel and inner fender liner (based on another post here) but that didn't reveal anything that would help.

I certainly hope the driver's side isn't worse lol, Any Ideas or Help? TIA.....Mark.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:50 PM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Posting in case someone else runs a search, Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit more disassembly: https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=217653
Old 11-23-2023, 04:28 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Yes sir….welcome to one of the most unpleasant jobs you can perform on a ZR-1. The driver side is easier. So for the passenger side, the plug for the O2 sensor is attached to a heat shield up high next to the engine.

You will have to undo two bolts to free the bracket the wiring connector is attached to. Even then, it’s going to be hard to get it down enough to unhook the connector. You will need some needle nose pliers to release the connector from the heat shield. Pack your patience and have a swear jar nearby. I did not reinstall the bracket, I just gently pushed protective looms in place and zip tied them secure to another harness running in the same area.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1985 Corvette:
coreseller (11-23-2023), FASTAZU (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:58 PM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Yes sir….welcome to one of the most unpleasant jobs you can perform on a ZR-1. The driver side is easier. So for the passenger side, the plug for the O2 sensor is attached to a heat shield up high next to the engine.

You will have to undo two bolts to free the bracket the wiring connector is attached to. Even then, it’s going to be hard to get it down enough to unhook the connector. You will need some needle nose pliers to release the connector from the heat shield. Pack your patience and have a swear jar nearby. I did not reinstall the bracket, I just gently pushed protective looms in place and zip tied them secure to another harness running in the same area.
Thanks 1985. Swear Jar is officially full. Got the brace removed and waiting on some 12" long Hemostats one curved. When they hit here will respond with how helpful they were, Thanks Again.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:23 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

May want to think of installing an harness extension to make the servicing easier.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:17 PM
coreseller
Melting Slicks

Hemostats were a total bust, don't bother if reading this. Removed the bracket bolted to front two bolts on oilpan (did not get pics) and it allowed a little more wiggle room to get the new O2 sensor snapped in. Driver side literally took 2 to 3 minutes lol.

Thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing an O2 Sensor

Quick Reply: Replacing an O2 Sensor