C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ramp 'em up ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
falconfling
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramp 'em up ??

A quick search (very quick) and a foggy brain, finds nothing on the board on ramps....anyone have favorites and where can I get them ?
I need ramps that will work on both ZR1 and a C5 (since they're both about 3 mm. off the ground, should be no problem there). One of those lifts would be nice...but that will have to wait.

TIA
Gary
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by falconfling
A quick search (very quick) and a foggy brain, finds nothing on the board on ramps....anyone have favorites and where can I get them ?
I need ramps that will work on both ZR1 and a C5 (since they're both about 3 mm. off the ground, should be no problem there). One of those lifts would be nice...but that will have to wait.

TIA
Gary
I made mine out of a pile of 2X4s and some plywood with the ramp detachable from the horizontal part. Commercial ones didn't have the low angle of attack you need to clear the ZR-1 spoiler. Your fortune may vary. And be careful when driving up - if the ABS self-check hits at the wrong time you will probably drive right on and off. Ask me how I know ...

BTW, where is "near Austin"? I'm in New Braunfels.

Glenn

Last edited by gbrtng; 10-17-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

www.raceramps.com

I'm actually looking to order a set. The longer ones get you 10" off the ground and have a low approach for lower cars.

I have metal ramps from the local parts store. They blow chunks... the nose of the TTA hits the ramp and slides it. But these look good.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Zethco
www.raceramps.com

I'm actually looking to order a set. The longer ones get you 10" off the ground and have a low approach for lower cars.

I have metal ramps from the local parts store. They blow chunks... the nose of the TTA hits the ramp and slides it. But these look good.
I bought those and they are great. But my ZR-1 is still too low in front so I also had to get the extenders.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
I bought those and they are great. But my ZR-1 is still too low in front so I also had to get the extenders.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
falconfling
Racer

Default Just the info I need

Thanks for all replies.
Gary
Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 PM
HammerZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhinoramps at Wally World, non skid pads, about $35.00. I just cut a couple of 2x12's about 1' long and place them in front to pull up on the ramps...bumps the front up just enough to clear the spoiler. Works great and cheap.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZR1
Rhinoramps at Wally World, non skid pads, about $35.00. I just cut a couple of 2x12's about 1' long and place them in front to pull up on the ramps...bumps the front up just enough to clear the spoiler. Works great and cheap.
John I bought these and they slid all over the place. Could be they just couldnt handle the epoxy coated garage floor. GC
Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
John I bought these and they slid all over the place. Could be they just couldnt handle the epoxy coated garage floor. GC
Do yours have the rubber foot at the front of the ramps?

I have 2 pair 1 set didnt have the rubbers
Old 10-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by _twisted_
Do yours have the rubber foot at the front of the ramps?

I have 2 pair 1 set didnt have the rubbers
Yep still slid all over the place I ended up taking them back. The good news story was I had picked up a low profile jack at the same time and was able to complete the job. GC
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 AM
HammerZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Did you wax your floor? Seriously, my floor is epoxy coated too and I don't have that problem. Nice thing about WW though is you can take them back if they don't work.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
56chevy
Racer

Default ramps

get a kwiklift

www.kwiklift.com
Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
JoeyGibson
Racer

Race Ramps for sure, They are great for working on anything you can get at when you get under it from the front of the car. Trying to get to anything further back than the oil drain plug might be pretty hard.

They won't slide around like the cheap ones.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a cheap set of ramps from Wally and they slide all over. I can't put anything on them without bracing them somehow. Even my Ford truck pushes them instead of climbing up onto them.

My ramps have 2 rubber sticky pads on the bottom, one at the front and another at the back, but it doesn't seem to help. I've used them in my garage with a bare concrete floor, and in an epoxy coated garage with no change.

I finally decided to build a solution, here's what I did:

I bought two 10 foot long cargo straps. I attach the cargo straps to the underside of the ramps, and then run the loose end of the strap out the front of the ramp. By laying the cargo strap on the floor of the garage, the rear tire runs over the strap at about the same time that the front tire hits the ramp. Since the strap is attached to the ramp, and the strap is attached to the floor of the garage by the weight of the rear tire, the ramps won't/can't slide forward.

For the Corvette I just lay a 3 foot long 2x8 in front of the ramps. That gives me the extra lift in the front of the car to get on the ramps without dragging the nose.

Get notified of new replies

To Ramp 'em up ??

Quick Reply: Ramp 'em up ??